Java Middleware Software Developer
- Function title: Java Middleware Software Developer
- Reference: MA-2022-AST/488
- Location: Maastricht - Information about living in Maastricht
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: General conditions of employment governing servants at the EUROCONTROL Maastricht Centre
- Grades for publication: AST4-5 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Type of post: Assistant (AST1-AST9 )
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of appointment: 5 Year (s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: MAAS/ATM/TS - Technical Systems
- Competition publication date: 01/09/2022
- Competition closing date: 29/09/2022 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre , the "Technical Systems" service is responsible for the maintenance, development and improvement of software products which support MUAC in achieving its safety and capacity targets and sustain the growing air traffic demand. It provides also resources to various projects in its area of expertise and maintains technical hardware.
Your role will be to:
- Design and develop software (Java) to maintain and improve the in-house developed software with a focus on the connector between MUAC’s flight plan server and (existing and new) client applications, the software appliance repository server, and the network traffic logger and analyser.
- Support the product owner:
- analyse technical and operational problem reports to determine the solutions and fix problems;
- analyse change requests resulting in lifecycle document changes, safety assessment, test scoping and effort estimation;
- plan and implement changes and bug fixes including demonstration, documentation and unit testing in accordance with the SCRUM methodology;
- analyse system performance to identify potential shortcomings and propose solutions;
- advise on the software design of MUAC’s products, especially in the area of service oriented architectures and application security.
- Support the users of the products (developed by the Middleware Engineer) by delivering training, presentations and providing advice and documentation.
- Provide support to other product owners (within the team) of other products based on similar software stack with code reviews and changes.
- Foster the use of DevSecOps pipelines by using software engineering tools such as Jenkins, Nexus, SonarQube.
- Participate to projects, work packages, studies whenever required.
- Establish, maintain and adhere to processes that protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the IT systems within the scope and to the standards defined in the applicable security policies.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Post-secondary education in a relevant area (Computer Science, Engineering, etc.). A relevant Bachelor’s degree would be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience to perform the advertised responsibilities.
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- Experience in designing and developing software using Java.
- Experience with ASN-1, XML, JSON standards.
- Experience with modern service oriented architectures & middleware, message brokers (e.g. ActiveMQ), containers, API integration, data distribution (e.g. Kafka), etc.
- Understanding of application security.
- Technical writing skills (English).
- The following would be considered an advantage:
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Jira and Git/Bitbucket.
- Experience with the SCRUM methodology.
- Knowledge of databases and Hibernate.
- Knowledge of network protocols and Wireshark.
- Knowledge of DevSecOps pipelines.
- Understanding of Air Traffic Control Systems.
- Communication: You are able to foster two-way communication.
- Analytical Thinking: You analyse information and are able to identify relationships.
- Teamwork: You foster teamwork.
- Problem Solving: You anticipate and solve business problems.
- Quality Focus: You set and foster high quality standards.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1/C2.
The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- Duration of appointment: This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year (s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract.
- Internal candidates
If selected, the person will keep their current type of appointment duration (undetermined or determined).
The internal staff member with a determined contract will be offered, in principle, an appointment for 5 Year (s) with a maximum total duration of 9 years.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications .
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: https://www.eurocontrol.int/careers
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should go to our Careers website and read the tips on how to apply.