Salt Lake City
Job Overview: The Ukrainian Interpreter provides in-person and/or remote interpretation to facilitate, with accuracy, impartiality, and confidentiality, the language needs of Limited English Proficient (LEP) individuals and their service providers. Activities include providing professional interpretation services, use of software to track assignments, and occasional trainings and assessments. As part of the interpretation team, interpreters will receive structured professional development support and exposure to all program areas within IRC SLC. The interpreter will work on average 10/15 hours weekly and no more than 18.5 hours per week.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide accurate, impartial, and confidential interpretation to LEP individuals and service providers in a variety of settings, including clinics, hospitals, schools, community-based organizations, and government agencies. Services may be rendered in-person, via telephone, videoconference, or other virtual means.
- Assist clients in filling out a variety of forms for program eligibility, school enrollments/waivers, registration and medical history, and legal paperwork.
- Track assignments and work hours within designated software.
- Participate in trainings and assessments.
- May require providing transportation of clients to appointments.
- Comply with all policies and protocols of the agency.
- May support special projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Certifications:
- High school diploma strongly preferred.
- Successfully complete Bridging the Gap Medical Training at IRC within six months of employment (if haven’t already).
- Ability to translate written materials is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Relevant professional interpretation experience preferred.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
· Demonstrated ability to promote an organizational culture that reflects IRC’s core values of service, accountability, integrity, and equality. Ability to lead in a way that recognizes that IRC’s work is best accomplished through the true collaboration of individuals from many cultures with a great variety of skills and perspectives.
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; proficiency in language(s) spoken by client group is desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research, and problem-solving purposes.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.