Publications Manager (Consultant)
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Publications Manager
Type of Contract: Regular consultancy
Division: Communications, Marketing and Advocacy Division, CAM
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome HQ, Italy - Home based (possible travel when required)
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian agency, saving lives in emergencies and changing lives for millions through sustainable development. WFP works in more than 120 countries and territories around the world, feeding people caught in conflict and disasters, and laying the foundations for a better future.
Publications is a key component of WFP’s Communications, Advocacy and Marketing Division (CAM)'s work to produce content that effectively communicates and promotes the organization's mission. The function sits within the Editorial Team, a small and busy team which is also responsible for all content on WFP’s external website www.wfp.org. Reporting to the Head of the Editorial Team, the Publications Manager will be responsible for overseeing, managing and developing WFP’s publications-related processes and products.
ACCOUNTABITLITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and strengthen publishing procedures, guidelines, planning and workflows for corporate publications and other corporate knowledge products;
- Develop a comprehensive Open Access policy for all WFP publications, which promotes broad reach, access, reproduction and dissemination of content;
- Coordinate the planning, production and dissemination of WFP’s annual flagship publications (including the Annual Review and the Flexible Funding Report) in all WFP languages, ensuring alignment with core narratives, appropriate standards of language and grammar, and compliance with style guide;
- Oversee the production of WFP publications that meet threshold for corporate promotion, (thematic reports, divisional thematic reports and RB/CO focused reports with global resonance) in all appropriate languages, ensuring alignment with core narratives, appropriate standards of language and grammar, and compliance with style guide;
- Oversee the production of WFP co-publications in all languages, which meet threshold for corporate promotion, including appropriate coordination with relevant counterparts in other organizations, alignment with core narratives, appropriate standards of language and grammar, and compliance with style guide;
- Provide expertise and guidance on publications and communication matters, as a focal point for WFP divisions and field offices, ensuring understanding and adherence to guidelines including appropriate branding;
- Supervise administration related to publishing role, including publishing of material to corporate website, checking publications inbox and advising on publishing policies such as copyright issues and co-publishing agreements;
- Support promotion of publications products via editorial, social media and other means.
DELIVERABLES QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- An Open Access policy is established and aligned to the work and processes of CAM and other divisions across WFP;
- An Annual Review is published and disseminated which effectively reflects and promotes the work of the organization;
- A clear and effective structure is in place across the organization for the proposal, clearance, production and dissemination of high-quality publications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced university degree in communication, publishing, social or political science or a related field.
Four years' experience in publishing and communication at an international level.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Background in coordinating corporate publications activities in an intergovernmental or international setting;
- Demonstrable skills in coordinating publishing cycle, spanning proposals, development, production and dissemination;
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality publications that reflect core narratives of WFP;
- Knowledge/experience of Open Access principles and approaches is considered a strong asset;
- Strong conceptual thinker in developing/improving strategies and approaches;
- Strong, creative problem-solver who is detail oriented;
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
High proficiency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of a second UN language is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 5th October 2022
Ref.: VA No. 173093
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: