P-2, Associate Public Information/Liaison Officer, OED/SPPG (New York)
New York City
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in ITC’s New York Office. This office performs a representational and liaison function at UN headquarters. The role of the office is to: build greater awareness of ITC and trade and development issues in UN intergovernmental processes; advocate for MSMEs and trade as an engine for sustainable growth and development; develop partnerships with key actors within and beyond the UN system; and, gather intelligence on relevant issues to inform ITC management decision making. The New York office also acts as the focal point for ITC in the UN system and supports ITC programme activities in New York.
The goal of this job function is to provide substantive and administrative support to ITC’s Representative in New York, with a focus on supporting ITC’s participation in intergovernmental processes and supporting the development and nurturing of strategic partnerships.
Under the direct supervision of the ITC Representative to the UN, New York, and the general guidance of Chief, Strategic Planning, Performance and Governance,, the Associate Public Information Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Tracks, researches and analyzes information on assigned topics/issues; gathers information from diverse sources, including intergovernmental discussions, and helps to assess outcomes and potential impact.
• Prepares, on the basis of official ITC and UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of text for inclusion in statements, newsletters, and reports.
• In consultation with others identifies and proposes information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
• Identifies key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate ITC’s efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
• Organizes or participates in the organization of conferences, seminars, intergovernmental processes, meetings, etc.; prepares briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
• Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepares related correspondence.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• PROFESSIONALISM:Ability to plan, execute and monitor public communication campaigns, e.g. campaign management, market research, message targeting, impact evaluation. Ability to research and analyze issues and topics related to current events. Ability to draft and compile a variety of written communication products in a clear, concise style. Ability to interact with the public to build and maintain effective business connections. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration, or related field such as economics, international trade.
Note: An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration, or related field such as economics, international trade may be accepted with two years of relevant work experience.
A minimum of four years of relevant experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area is required.
Experience in the United Nations common system is desirable.
Experience in stakeholder engagement is desirable.
For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English is required and knowledge of French is an advantage.Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
The conditions of service are governed by the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. This is a fixed term appointment for an initial period of one (1) year.
ITC champions workforce diversity, inclusion, gender equality and gender parity and considers all qualified persons - of all genders - equally, including those with disabilities, without discrimination or prejudice of any kind. ITC also offers attractive flexible work arrangements to help promote a healthy work/life balance and to allow all staff members to express and develop their talents fully.
Applications from women and nationalities from developing and least developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
For information on salary and entitlements, please consult the International Civil Service Commission website: http://icsc.un.org
United Nations Considerations
In accordance with the United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ITC if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to carefully follow all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances, and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision, or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ITC does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ITC are fraudulent and should be disregarded.