Front-end Services Operation Manager
- Function title: Front-end Services Operation Manager
- Reference: NOC-NM-2022-AD/478
- Location: Brussels - Information about living in Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations governing officials of the EUROCONTROL Agency
- Grades for publication: AD9-10-11-12 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12 )
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of appointment: 5 Year (s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: NMD/TEC/OPS - Operations
- Competition publication date: 15/09/2022
- Competition closing date: 13/10/2022 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Network Management Directorate, "Technology" develops and maintains NMD’s mission-critical systems, including all airspace network management operational systems, the related communications facilities and technical infrastructure. It supports the Agency's IT solutions and services.
As a manager assigned to the Technology Division, the incumbent may be required to serve on a rotation basis as the “on-duty” Officer in charge of the escalation management in case of major incidents.
Your role will be to:
- Define, plan, manage and monitor the service’s activities and operational objectives in line with the Unit’s and Division’s strategy, and ensure that the service is delivered in accordance with applicable rules, procedures, and service requirements.
- Manage the staff (shift and non-shift staff at various EUROCONTROL sites) including allocation of roles and responsibilities, guidance, support, feedback, appraisals, staff development and technical training including coaching of newcomers to ensure required competencies are available when needed.
- Prepare the work plan and budget related to the activities of the service and contribute to the Unit’s 5-year budget plan.
- Organise, plan and oversee the (daily) activities of the level 1 and level 2 support teams including quality of incident handling, technical interventions, helpdesk for technical matters, etc.
- Act as Incident Manager in the context of the IT Service Management process and EASA’s regulatory framework.
- Review and improve system operational procedures, in particular for the Customer technical Service desk & Operations (CSO) and ensure relevant procedures are adapted as needed.
- Act as TEC Business Continuity Disaster Recovery Team Leader and prepare, execute and report on annual operational rehearsals to ensure the correct functioning of fallback and contingency systems.
- Foster and ensure close collaboration and coordination with other relevant teams within the Technology Division.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- University studies of at least 4 years (e.g. Master’s degree) or university studies of at least 3 years plus one year relevant professional experience, or professional training of an equivalent level.
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- A minimum of 9 years’ IT experience including experience in a mission critical operational environment.
- Practical experience and proficiency in IT Operations.
- Practical experience in managing level 1 support and 24/7 IT support activities.
- Practical experience in 24/7 mission-critical monitoring, alerting and user support.
- Practical experience in organising and managing shift rosters, and in applying administrative and legal frameworks/provisions related to shift work.
- Experience of ITIL processes, in particular incident handling and reporting including ITSM tools (e.g. ServiceNow).
- Project Management experience or skills.
- Vendor management skills.
- This job is subject to an (internal) certification of competency (CECAS).
- Communication: You adapt your communication to different situations and audiences.
- Managing People: You implement effective people-management practices.
- Problem Solving: You know how to solve complex problems and provide effective solutions.
- Analytical thinking: You apply a methodical approach to complex information.
- Influencing: You tailor your style and approach to influence others.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1 and intermediate users of French at level B1.
The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- Duration of appointment: This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year (s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract.
- Internal candidates
- If selected, the person will keep their current type of appointment duration (undetermined or determined).
- The internal staff member with a determined contract will be offered, in principle, an appointment for 5 Year (s) with a maximum total duration of 9 years.
- This post entails management activities. Established staff members will therefore have to serve a confirmation period of 9 months. This period may be shortened to 6 months if the successful candidate is appointed following a competition preceded by a previous temporary assignment to the post for which s/he was selected. The Director General may also decide not to make subject to this provision if that official has previously been assigned, for a period of 2 years or more, to a post similar to that for which he has been selected and which entailed the same level of management responsibilities.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: https://www.eurocontrol.int/careers
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should go to our Careers website and read the tips on how to apply.