Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified and motivated Medical Assistant who will has the responsibility for quality and effective medical operations and exercises in the field ensuring that health needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) are duly met.
About the job
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been working in Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1992 and closed its office in the country at the end of January 2010 after 18 years. In July 2018 DRC re-opened its mission responding to increasing and priority needs of Person of Concern (PoCs) in close cooperation with the BiH Authorities. More specifically DRC BiH focuses on improving the access to primary and secondary health care including psychosocial and mental health services to PoCs, as well as on enhancing the overall protective environment for PoCs, with particular focus on case management in SGBV, and timely outreach response to rights violations at the borders. DRC has main office in Sarajevo and activities implemented in Una-Sana, Herzegovina- Neretva, Sarajevo and Tuzla Canton.
Position: Medical Assistant
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Sarajevo Canton
Period of engagement: October – December 2022
Basic functions: Medical Assistant is responsible for quality and effective medical operations and exercises in the field ensuring that health needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) are duly met, including the needs related to MHPSS. He/she carries out the quality improvement activities in collaboration with the relevant Health Team Leader, MHPSS Specialist and Medical Advisor and in compliance with the law and policies related to Health Care in BiH.
Reference: Medical Assistant refers directly to the Health Team Leader working as well under the advisory of MHPSS Specialist and Medical Advisor and in close collaboration with other project involved staff, including the staff of DRC’s implementing partner for MHPSS activities.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Ensures that health care is provided to PoCs in need, with the support of Health Team Leader, MHPSS Specialist and Medical Advisor, establishing a strong quality referral mechanism and control system, as well as ensuring that PoCs’ rights are respected;
- Be present and contactable by designated health related institutions and actors in relevance to (MHPSS) health needs;
- Makes sure that DRC assets, medical consumables and supplies are utilized and taken care of adequately, economically and for the benefit and safe health of PoCs, including those under harm reduction program;
- Regularly liaises and communicates with all other relevant local departments and implementing agencies’ personnel (including the DRC’s MHPSS implementing partner) on relevant medical matters, with the focus on harm reduction;
- In case of need for referrals towards protection mechanism, he/she follows up on the need and provides valuable inputs to protection staff;
- Provides adequate response to other health and protection related tasks;
- Contributes to the maintenance of a financial and administration control system for payments committed and released by DRC related to the project implementation, under the supervision of Medical Advisor and with the support of the Finance Officer;
- Be adequately responsive and collaborative due to other local and central stakeholders' health related priorities and requests, having consulted the supervisory DRC staff beforehand.
Qualifications & experience required:
- Medical high school diploma or equivalent;
- Valid license for independent work;
- Ability to work in challenging environment, assess the situation and carry out immediate actions;
- Experience on refugee/migration related issues would be an asset
- Minimum 1 year of relevant job experience
- Ability to behave in a manner consistent with human rights obligations;
- Fluency in spoken and written BCS (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) and English;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Valid driving license, high level of professionalism evidence by clear driver’s record;
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.