Local expert on the development of the RA Police digital transformation strategic note and strategic roadmap
Through the EU funded “Accountable Institutions and Human Rights Protection in Armenia” Project, UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA and OSCE support the Government of Armenia (GoA) efforts towards inclusive, accountable and effective service delivery in the field of rule of law, security, human rights and Constitutional reform. The Project aims to strengthen rights-based approach in public service in line with the EU-GoA Financing Agreement “Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) Reform Facility'. This engagement contributes to the implementation of CEPA provisions and implementation of the roadmap, adopted by the GoA in the areas of rule of law and human rights.
The focus is placed on good governance, non-discrimination, gender equality, rights of persons belonging to minorities, justice and security reform. The Project equally contributes to implementation of the Agenda 2030, focusing on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 16 (peace and strong institutions), SDG 10 (reduced inequalities) and SDG 5 (gender equality). The Project objectives are implemented through the following three components: Human Rights, Police Reform and Constitutional Reform. Within the Police reform component, the Project, in close cooperation with the Ministry of Justice and the Police, supports implementation of the ongoing Police reform, with an emphasis on strengthening the educational system and capacity building.
The institutional capacity building for the Police Educational Complex (PEC), focusing on Patrol and Community Police training, is a priority of the Project. The Project further strengthens the analytical capacities of the Operations Management Centre and relevant capacities of the staff. The Project enhances the systems and instruments for improved accountability, transparency and integrity of the Police. Further, the Project improves the institutional mechanisms and the Police staff capacities to face the crisis situations. The Project aims to enhance the institutional resilience of the Police and to improve the provision of citizen-oriented services. It further promotes gender equality through increased engagement of women in the Police.
Digital transformation is essential for the police force to stay relevant, effective and responsive in its approach to protecting and serving the public. It has the potential to touch every part of the policing process, changing the way police work, harness data, exploit available technologies, collaborate with partner organizations and organize themselves. Each of these issues has wide reaching consequences, both for the industry as a whole and for individual officers. A responsible transformation roadmap must therefore focus on the capabilities, processes and approaches that can maximize efficiency and learning across the whole policing system while meeting the specific needs of individual contexts.
To this end, the Project is looking for an expert to develop the RA Police digital transformation strategic note and strategic roadmap that will later save as basis for the automation and digitalization of services within the RA Police.
Duties and Responsibilities
This assignment entails the development of the RA Police digital transformation strategic note and a strategic roadmap under the overall guidance of the Specialist/Task Lead on Police, Security and Public Administration and the direct supervision of Armenia National SDG Innovation Lab Lead, Public Policy Innovation Projects Lead and the Project Police Expert.
The Expert shall:
- Conduct thorough desk research on international best practices of police digital transformation, with specific emphasis on the:
- Rationale and objectives of digital transformation within the police
- Key opportunities and challenges for digital transformation
- Digital transformation strategies and models within the police
- Recommended phases of digital transformation and area prioritization principles
- Digital transformation roadmap samples and adaptation opportunities
- Applied strategies and principles to roll out digital transformation within the police
- Other relevant aspects;
- Map all local stakeholders (institution, division, unit and person levels) relevant to rolling out digital transformation within the police;
- Conduct thorough primary and secondary research in Armenia with specific emphasis on:
- Government and RA Police development priorities and strategic documents including on digital transformation
- The RA Police perspectives, vision and mission on digital transformation
- Drivers, enablers and challenges of Police digital transformation in Armenia across data, technology, process and people dimensions
- Past, ongoing and planned automation and digitalization initiatives within the RA Police
- Analyzed workflows, processes, systems, data flow, human and technical resources within the RA Police (based on the existing mapping reports)
- Service mapping and their digitalization score;
- Skills mapping of the RA Police personnel
- Other relevant aspects.
- Based on the results of primary and secondary research, as well as the results of the data mapping and business process analysis conducted by the Project, draft the inception report and validate with the Project and key stakeholders.
- Following the validation of the inception report and based on the relevant feedback, draft the digital transformation strategic note, with specific focus on:
- Impact of digital transformation in the RA Police
- The RA Police vision on digital transformation
- Drivers, enablers and challenges of Police digital transformation
- Overview of digital transformation requirements, principles, capabilities and skills with respect to data, technology, process and people
- Recommended pillars for digital transformation
- Infrastructure analysis
- Digital transformation change management strategy
- Other related aspects
- Based on digital transformation strategic note, draft the RA Police digital transformation strategic roadmap (narrative and flow chart) for the identified thematic areas with specific emphasis on the following:
- Detailed phases of digital transformation relevant to each identified pillar, with focus on data, technology, process, infrastructure and people dimensions
- Overview of required institutional, technical and human resources and skills
- Other relevant aspects;
- Validate the digital transformation strategic roadmap with stakeholders and project team and finalize for publication;
- Throughout the course of the assignment, incorporate relevant changes into the deliverables stemming from the ongoing developments in the RA Police and concerned institutions (i.e. Ministry of Interior Affairs);
- Organize co-design sessions and validation workshops/meetings throughout the course of the assignment, where relevant;
- Organize the high-level launching event of the digital transformation roadmap
Description of deliverables
1. Inception report on the conceptual framework of the RA Police digital transformation prepared based on primary and secondary research
21 Oct, 2022
2. Digital transformation strategic note drafted
15 Dec, 2022
3. Digital transformation strategic roadmap drafted
15 Jan, 2023
4. High-level launching event of the digital transformation roadmap organized
30 Jan 2023
- Ability to deliver and reach the planned targets without undermining proper operational processes;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural background;
- Creativity, flexibility and an innovative approach to problem solving;
- Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion;
- Strong teamwork skills;
- Ability to work under the pressure and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Ability to design and maintain spreadsheets, flowcharts, advanced visualization tools;
- Strong competence in quantitative and qualitative research methodologies;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong competence in writing reports intended for diverse audiences.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Sociology, Social Sciences, Monitoring and Evaluation, Public Administration, Political Science or Economics, Law or another related field;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in drafting public sector digital transformation strategies and roadmaps;
- Proven experience in identifying opportunities to improve operations through technological advancement and putting forward policy-level recommendations;
- Proven experience in leading or supporting digital transformation initiatives, solid understanding of digital, software build and change delivery;
- Good knowledge of the RA Police system and structure;
- Exposure to innovative research methods and techniques;
- Fluency in Armenian and English is required (written and oral).
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING METHODOLOGY:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants' technical qualifications, experience and financial proposal.The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as technically responsive/compliant/acceptable to the requirements of the ToR and received the highest cumulative (technical and financial) score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max. 70 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION.
- Financial Proposal and Availability form: OFFEROR’S LETTER TO UNDP (A total lump sum option is applicable for this assignment)
- CV shall include Education/Qualification, Processional Certification, Employment Records /Experience
General Conditions of Contract is available here: GENERAL CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT
Note: Please note you can upload only one document to this application (scan all documents that should be included in the application in one single PDF file and upload it).