Head of Field Office - FTA/NOB - Kabkabiya & Kutum (2 positions)
Job posting information
Opening date: 18 September 2022
Closing date: 02 October 2022
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity & gender balance and encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s experienced and talented team to plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources in order to change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for Heads of Field offices for our offices in Kutum and Kabkabiya in Sudan to be hired on a Fixed-Term contract at the NOB level.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Sudan has the potential to reach millions of food-insecure people across Sudan – with a total of 7.8 million people assisted in 2020. WFP Sudan, one of the largest and complex operations for WFP globally, is currently rolling out its five-year Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), which aims to provide emergency assistance through a hybrid approach (Cash, food and vouchers), along with life-changing types of programmes (Nutrition, Resilience and School Feeding).
The Head of Field Office with delegated authority plans and manages field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources. The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Head of Area Office and is responsible for the following:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
- Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays.
- Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Area/Country Office.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed.
- Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
- Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
- Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other fields relevant to international development assistance, with three years of related work experience, or a First University degree with five years of related work experience. Relevant training/courses will be added advantage
Language: Fluency in English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has developed, or supported in the development of, single discipline work plans to support the achievement of organisational strategic aims within a defined area.
• Has gained some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
• Has field experience in delivering programs in a sub-office setting.
• Gained experience of analysing local political situations and assessing risk accurately.
• Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
• Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
• Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
• Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
• Participated in a small emergency operation/ development programme.
• Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a smaller area.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOURHeader
Leads by Example with Integrity
- Upholds WFP values, principles and standards Demonstrates the WFP values, principles and standards
- Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language
- Stays focused and calm when under pressure
- Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up
- opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
- Is accountable for the delivery of results
- Seeks guidance and support where needed
- Adapts readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative
- Promotes teamwork by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
- Gives timely and constructive feedback to others
- Listens attentively to others and shares views
Applies Strategic Thinking
- Embraces WFP’s vision and how it impacts their role
- Shows curiosity and implements new ways of doing things when relevant
- Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team activities
- Asks questions to understand the impact of decisions for their objectives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
- Acts professionally with external partners
- Works together with partners to deliver common goals
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings . If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
- In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
TALENTED WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavor to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing date: 02 October 2022
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- This position is open ONLY to Sudanese nationals. Applicants who are not Sudanese are not eligible to apply and will therefore not be considered for this position.
- WFP does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment process.
- Eligible applicants are advised to indicate the duty station(s) of their preference when submitting their applications
- CANDIDATES ARE ADVISED TO ATTACH BOTH A COVER LETTER AND AN UPDATED CV OR UNP11 FORM. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR CV OR P11 IS UPDATED
- Please specify in your cover letter the duty station of your preference i.e. the one you would like to be considered for.