National Project Officer (Policy)
Post Number : 4INEDPA053GI
Grade : NO-C
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 11- OCT-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Only nationals of India may apply for this positionOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is an integral part of UNESCO and is a specialized Category-I institute that works on education for peace and sustainable development to foster global citizenship. MGIEP’s Policy Team works with all projects at the Institute in pursuit of policy change at different levels which would facilitate the achievement towards SDG Target 4.7 on education for peace and sustainable development. MGIEP also strives to impact education policy discourses beyond 2030, the target year of SDGs, by working closely with academic and scientific communities as well as with national education policymakers and other stakeholders.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO MGIEP and the direct supervision of the Head of Policy and Advocacy, the National Project Officer will contribute to identifying, through quantitative and qualitative policy reviews and analysis, strategic entry points for engaging with the UNESCO Member States. The National Project Officer would undertake the following responsibilities:
Contribute to policy analysis and development in the context of Education:
- Contribute to the identification of relevant policy issues within the SDG4 and the broader educational agenda.
- Assist to define and document policy issues and provide potential solutions drawing from the science of learning, traditional education, and supporting evidence.
- Use a range of quantitative and qualitative research methods, ensuring the credibility of information and evidence sourced.
- Maintain awareness of local and global policy developments within the educational sphere.
- Draft or contribute to the development of a range of policy and associated documents within SDG 4 and in particular SDG 4.7.
- Identify other policy issues that might shape education policy reform (like employment or fiscal policies).
Support policy implementation, monitoring, and evaluation:
- Contribute to the development of supporting infrastructure and processes for policy implementation.
- Undertake research and analysis to support policy advice
- Summarize information and evidence via minutes, briefs, submissions, reports, or updates.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and ensure effective communication.
- Maintain accurate records of policy advice, including key discussions, and decisions in the form of electronic notes.
- Review relevant academic literature on policy implementation and evaluation, especially in education.
- Contribute to the discussion and design of a framework for education policy implementation.
- Support in the development of indicators to monitor and support policy implementation.
Stakeholder Consultation and Programme Management:
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans, budgets for projects, align policy plans and objectives with the Institute’s objectives and deliverables, and with UNESCO’s relevant Main Line of Actions.
- Collaborate with other Missions at the institute to help identify a relevant intended policy implication of various projects.
- Liaise and develop synergies with key actors and partners including Head Quarters, Field Offices, and other Category 1 and 2 Institutes of UNESCO, UNESCO National Commissions as well as universities and research centers.
- Collaborate in the design and implementation of stakeholder engagement mechanisms for policy design, implementation, and evaluation.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Commitment to the Organization's mandate, vision, strategic direction, and priorities.
- Excellent understanding of trends in the education sector.
- Ability to use methods and tools to monitor context triggers and determine the impact of various dynamics in education outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Integrity, reliability, and sense of commitment in the execution of duties.
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, to manage heavy workloads and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to detail and quality of work.
- Excellent diplomatic skills and multicultural sensitivity.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master's Degree) in Education, Policy Studies, Public Policy, International Relations, Social Sciences, Sciences of Learning, or other education-related sciences.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in the field of education related to research, policy, teaching, curriculum development, pedagogy, social and emotional learning, and/or planning in a governmental, multilateral, academic, or civil society organization.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and good knowledge of Hindi.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Education, Policy Studies, Public Policy, International Relations, Social Sciences, Sciences of Learning, or other education-related sciences.
- Professional experience within an international environment or in the UN system
- Working knowledge of another UNESCO language (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is INR 3,437,472 US $ (Net pensionable salary, subject to deductions for pension and Medical)
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.