Intern - Communications and Public Relations
Requisition ID: 1182
Duty Station: Brussels
Employment Type: NonStaff-Regular
Duration: 6 months
Application Deadline: 11-Oct-2022
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013 as well as the Abu Dhabi Declaration adopted at the eighteenth session of UNIDO General Conference in 2019, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Global Partnerships and External Relations (GLO), headed by a Managing Director, is responsible for UNIDO's relations with Member States and all external partners, including through the Policymaking Organs. It plays a central role for interaction and collaboration with traditional and non-traditional donors; oversees the regional bureaus as well as the network of established field offices, liaison offices and Investment and Technology Promotion Offices; and supports the implementation of particularly complex projects, programmes and special assignments, thus also fulfilling an important role in safeguarding their quality and the reputation of the Organization.
The Division of Field and Liaison Strategy (GLO/FLS) provides strategic guidance on the set-up, operation and performance of the field structure and UNIDO's liaison offices with a view to further optimizing UNIDO's field operations, outreach to development partners and Member States, global networks and overall coherence of its service delivery in the context of the UNDS and related reform efforts. The Division also supports the work of GLO/RFO in developing regional strategies and country programmes (including Programmes for Country Partnerships - PCPs), ensuring alignment with key strategic documents of the Organization and the priorities of the Director General as well as related results-oriented implementation plans.
This internship position is located in the UNIDO Liaison Office in Brussels (GLO/FLS/BRO). UNIDO Liaison Offices ensure the effective promotion and representation of UNIDO at the UN in New York and Geneva and the European Commission (EC) in Brussels. They maintain close contact and communication with Permanent Missions of Member States to the UN at their respective locations; raise awareness of and support for UNIDO's programmes and activities; represent UNIDO in meetings of intergovernmental and inter-agency bodies; promote partnerships and cooperation with the organizations of the United Nations System, civil society and the private sector; and in the case of the Brussels Office, enhance cooperation with the European Union. They report back to UNIDO on partnership and funding opportunities and major trends and developments.
GENERIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Intern shall work under the direct supervision of the UNIDO Representative of the Liaison Office in Brussels.
The Intern shall be engaged as follows:
- Exposed to the regular core functions of the Liaison Office in Brussels and as such shall have the opportunity to observe the day-to-day operations and engage in on-the-job training in specific actions delegated by the Supervisor.
Engaged in a specific self-contained assignment described below:
- Support the UNIDO Liaison Office Brussels communication, partnership development, and public relation activities, through knowledge and information capturing and sharing with multiple channels & tools: e-mail, website, social media, publications, brochures, presentations, etc.
- Provide assistance to the UNIDO Liaison Office Brussels in capturing relevant data and information for strategic or operational use at country, regional and global level through media watch, content tracking and management, events attendance, reporting, etc.
- Support the collection of media materials (images, videos, news items, etc.) during events and meetings for preparation of publicity materials.
- Assist in the organization of, or participation to events and meetings, including planning, preparation of substantive materials, reporting and follow-up.
- Compile best practices, lessons learnt, experiences and stories on key thematic areas of UNIDO’s interventions in Brussels
- Assist with outreach and publicity activities, such as: quarterly newsletters, brochures, social media.
- Help develop multimedia and video content, editing the videos, interview recordings with UNIDO/Partners analysts.
- Engage professionally with social media platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter; monitor developments in online media; monitor success of online efforts using google analytics and other tools.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Prepare an end-of-internship report; to be submitted to and cleared by UNIDO Internship Coordination.
- Other Special emerging Projects that may enhance the learning experience of the Intern.
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Age: Minimum 20 years on the first day of the internship.
Education: Enrolled in a university degree programme; or begin the internship within one year of completing a university degree; or completed a university degree and be sponsored as part of an academic or development programme.
Field of specialization: Communication, Media Relations, Advocacy, International Relations.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language, particularly French, is desirable.
Other skills: Knowledge of the European Union institutions is desired.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: to stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
- Become acquainted with the most up-to-date technical, economic and industrial developments in the relevant field of specialization of the Liaison Office in Brussels. Furthermore, they are expected to deepen their knowledge in the fields of new product/services and process design.
- Gain experience in project design/management.
- On the job training: participation in every phase of the working process.
- Gain experience in working effectively in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
Duration: UNIDO Liaison Office in Brussels is seeking to engage a qualified intern, starting as soon as possible, for a period of six months.
Cost: Please note that UNIDO internships are full-time and unpaid. Interns shall cover allcostsassociated with their internship, including visas,travel to and from the duty station,insurance, transportation, accommodation and living expenses.
UNIDO Interns are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect fordiversity at all times, both at work and outside.
Only candidates who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for internships atUNIDO.
All applications must be submitted through the UNIDO Online Recruitment System.
Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advancedphase of the selection process.
Visit the UNIDO website for details on how to apply: www.careers.unido.org
Notice to applicants:
UNIDO does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connectionwith the application or recruitment process. If you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, pleasedisregard it. Vacant positions within UNIDO are advertised on the official UNIDO website. Should you have anyquestions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNIDO and requestingpayment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: