Head of Project - Economic Development
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: "Zero Hunger by 2030" - If you want to become part of our global community to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Head of Project - Economic Development*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Tikrit, Iraq, with frequent travel to the project locations.
Welthungerhilfe’s country programme in Iraq aims to improve the food & nutrition security and resilience of vulnerable populations such as internally displaced people, returnees, refugees and host communities. As Head of Project - Economic Development, you will promote job creation and income opportunities through the establishment of producer groups for both women and men and the development of value chains and market linkages. You will manage the rehabilitation of basic infrastructure like WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) & Health facilities and promote social cohesion and peaceful coexistence in the Ninewa and Salah Al-Din areas. The projects are carried out in accordance with Welthungerhilfe standards and the directives and provisions of the cofinancer.
- Carry out the project(s) according to the rules and standards of the co-financing donors and Welthungerhilfe
- Ensure that all project relevant support is in place (monitoring, logistics, finance administration, etc.)
- Manage staff according to Welthungerhilfe's leadership principles, staff policies and strategy
- Promote employment creation and income generation for women through the creation of producer groups
- Enhance existing livelihoods by creating kitchen gardens for women, promoting food processing of agricultural products for home consumption and sale in local markets, and creating market linkages
- Rehabilitation of basic infrastructure such as WASH facilities, health facilities, improvement of marketplaces and support for the introduction of renewable energy
- Coordinate nutrition training and promote hygiene awareness
- Promote social cohesion and peaceful coexistence
- Report to the Country Director on the progress of the project(s) and all risks associated with the project work
- Represent Welthungerhilfe in country vis-à-vis relevant national and international stakeholders and partners in coordination with the country office
A university or polytechnic degree in agronomy or development/humanitarian work or equivalent qualifications that are commensurate with this position
Several years of project and management experience in the Middle East or comparable crisis regions
BMZ donor experience is an added value
Coordination and organisational skills, including ability to work under pressure
Willingness and ability to travel frequently to project sites, field locations and stakeholder meetings, including areas with volatile local conditions
Excellent communication skills and intercultural sensibility in a multinational environment
A "can do" mentality paired with a high level of mental and physical resilience
Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe's project countries
Excellent spoken and written English; German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by October 5, 2022. Your contact person is Nawid Ketabi.Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.