SENIOR MANAGER, INFRASTRUCTURE
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION (BACKGROUND)
International Medical Corps, which has a history of providing healthcare services and training in Ukraine that dates back to 1999, is expanding its activities in the country and the surrounding region in response to the war there. The situation throughout Ukraine is deteriorating rapidly as the conflict intensifies, prompting a sharp increase in humanitarian needs as access to essential services and supplies are disrupted and more and more people flee their homes. Our response activities include infrastructure rehabilitation, support to ministry of health for provision of emergency and primary health services and supplies, mental health and psychosocial support, gender-based violence services, child protection, nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene.
The position is based in Kyiv, Ukraine and may require in country travel based on security.
Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, Measles and any other mandatory vaccine requirement (country dependent) prior to deployment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law. Applicants should be aware that for certain positions involving emergency deployments, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. International Medical Corps will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis in light of each particular role.
JOB DESCRIPTION *
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Manager, Infrastructure is responsible for the coordination of rehabilitation , building construction, shelter, and winterization activities across the different operational sites in country program. S/He coordinates with international Medical Corps sector leads and field coordinators and oversees the process from sites identification to handover to communities, in compliance with local laws, internal and donor processes, procedures and regulations.
S/He manages a team part of the in-country program and provide technical oversight to the infrastructure team who supervise the implementation of activities in each operational site. S/He is responsible for the selection, contacting, involvement and management of external parties including project designers, project certification companies, and liaison with relevant government authorities.
S/He is responsible for the compliance of rehabilitation, construction and shelter activities with local laws and regulation related to construction matters as well as relevant cluster standards.
S/He is responsible to ensure transparency of the tendering process and appropriate selection of companies in close collaboration with the procurement department.
S/He leads the in country infrastructure response unit, deploys, conducts urgent repairs and establishes infrastructure team units in close supervision of the in-country WASH Coordinator.
S/He oversees the preparation of operational, financial and narrative reports, updates, and coordination mechanisms to ensure optimum management of resources and tracking of activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation:
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Planning and coordination - Develop, maintain and communicate project implementation workplan, systems, approaches, standard operating procedure, tools, and templates related to infrastructure. - Responsible for timely implementation of activities, work with IMC budget holders, project managers, field coordinators to plan the various stages of project implementation and related financing. Monitor progress for each initiative, maintains visibility on operational plans, budgets forecast, and reports regularly. - Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
2. Technical guidance and oversight - Responsible for the compliance of International Medical Corps construction and rehabilitation operations with legal laws and requirements. Remain updated on all legal requirements applicable to construction and rehabilitation sector. - Work with relevant ministries to ensure alignment of construction/rehabilitation designs to applicable standards. - Works with relevant cluster to align operations to standards including Sphere including designs.
3. Project implementation - Work with program team for technical validation of selected objects and general scope of work. - Support and oversee engineers and/or external contractors for technical design and expertise stages. Review and validate technical designs in preparation to tenders. Responsible for should cost analysis and adjustment to meet available budgets. - Participate or lead regular market surveys to augment the pool of contractors for the different categories of work in each location including performance measurement. Facilitate documented technical assessments to determine vendor capacity and quality of work. - Work with procurement for the preparation and conduction of tenders including documentation, selection criteria and vendor solicitation. Ensure transparency throughout the process. - Co-chair Tender Committee, ensure timely completion. Oversee offer and vendors technical evaluations. Prepare contracts including pricing and technical documentation. Facilitate signature of contracts with relevant parties. - Coordinate contract kick-off, ensure all parties are fully aware and comply with contract provisions. - Responsible for effective monitoring and site supervision including site meetings and related documentation. Remain informed of contract modifications arising during a contract. Responsible to ensure documented review and validation of quantity and price proposed modification with appropriate benchmarking. - Work with engineers, contractors and beneficiary institution for the receipt, documentation, validation and timely multipe milestones payments. of intermediary, final and guaranty payments. - Oversee work commissioning and technical expertise with relevant internal and external certified members. Ensure documentation is complete.
4. Emergency infrastructure response - Leads emergency response constructions and rehabilitation projects, deploys with roving engineer and construction project officer, undertakes rapid assessment, construction companies market surveys and technical assessment for tendering. Works with procurement team to process tenders and initiate contract using emergency simplified procedures. - Hires staff and establishes supervision capacity for contracted objects and technical survey development capacity to conduct additional assessments. Train and handovers to newly established team, establish technical oversight and enter activities into country-wide infrastructure workplan.
5. Compliance - Ensure compliance with IMC policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws. - Ensure that vendor eligibility screening is carried out for all contractors and stakeholders.
6. Human Resources - Manage all staff within department with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. - Make frequent site visits to where staff supervised is working, ensure that the appropriate care and support is offered. Ensure that staff under supervision are evaluated regularly, trained and/or mentored in a structured accountable manner, and written records of such are retained. - Oversee the recruitment, selection and performance of staff, as required. - Advocate and plan for professional development for expat and national staff - Coordinate the delivery of training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity, and ensure sustainability of programs
7. Working Relationships - Proactively engage with Country, Field and HQ personnel on construction, rehabilitation and shelter matters. - Proactively engage with donors, local government, project partners, UN agencies and other non-governmental organizations including cluster.
8. Representation - Represent IMC in a positive and professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of IMC’s mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actor
9. Security - Ensure application and compliance of security protocols and policies as delegated. - Comply with security and safety procedures, as applicable to the specific location.
10. Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse - Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps. - Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive. - Ensures staff under line management is highly performing, sets yearly performance objectives, leads performance review, capacity building and mentoring. Implement suite of management tools to enable staff to perform in remote management and office setting.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear, or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
Safeguarding It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons.
Equal Opportunities International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran.
JOB REQUIREMENTS *
- Typically, a Bachelor's degree in related area. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate. - Typically, 8+ year of relevant experience working in similar role. Proven work experience as a Rehabilitation, Construction, or Shelter Coordinator. - Experience in project management, from design to delivery - Relevant education with preferably civil engineering background - Strong understanding of legal texts in construction environment - Ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules and step-by-step action plans - Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management - Strong client-facing and teamwork skills - Familiarity with risk management and quality assurance / control - Knowledge of Microsoft Project, Microsoft Planner or similar planning software - PMP / PRINCE2 certification is a plus - Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret, technical and non-technical in the English language - Ability to speak/write in Ukrainian or Russian language is a plus
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL OR LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Misconduct Disclosure Scheme
All offers of employment at International Medical Corps are subject to satisfactory references and background checks. International Medical Corps participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme from the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR). In accordance with this, we will request information from an applicant’s previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.