Research Coordinator / Thematic Specialist (m/f/d)
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking applicants to join its talent pool for Research Coordinators / Thematic Specialists. As Transparency International’s project portfolio is expanding, we will have opportunities for talented researchers to join our team to support the performance of new and ongoing multi-country projects focussing on anti-corruption research and advocacy.
A full-time Research Coordinator / Thematic Specialist will provide research and help lead the implementation of new and current projects, working closely with colleagues from Global Movement, Projects, Global Policy and Advocacy, Communications, Fundraising and Finance teams, as well as TI National Chapters and partner organisations.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: Coordinate and contribute to the production of research products and methodologies to support the implementation of TI’s current and future projects
Team: Research and Knowledge
Reporting Line: Head of Research and Knowledge
Band: Band PF2
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years, with the option of extension
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin
Job ID: TIS-RK-RCG-09222
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Research and Knowledge Team, the Research Coordinator / Thematic Specialist will:
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of knowledge materials, tools and research methodologies to generate evidence in support of TI strategic priorities, particularly in the area of corrupt money flows and political integrity
- Produce and disseminate original materials, including the production of research briefs and the provision of on-demand research support via the Anti-Corruption Helpdesk to address the knowledge needs of the TI movement and selected stakeholders
- Coordinate with a pool of external contributors as well as a network of leading international anti-corruption experts
- Provide quality control of research project outputs and support the development of relevant knowledge materials by chapters
- Contribute to the TI research portfolio by taking part in specified aspects of research project coordination, delivery of research tools, monitoring and quality control, and the production of publications and other outreach materials
- Support the Research and Knowledge Team on the delivery of specific products and activities (such as e.g. knowledge generation and exchanges, peer to peer capacity building activities, knowledge dissemination) through background research, quantitative/qualitative data analysis, fact checking, editing, benchmarking, etc.
- Promote and disseminate TI-S’ knowledge products through various platforms, channels and outreach activities (e.g. blogs, social media, workshops and conferences).
- Generate ideas, develop concept notes/proposals, and activities that are aligned with organisational priorities.
- Contribute to day-to-day work implementation, including work planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures.
- Support the coordination of work and information flow between the Research and Knowledge Team and other internal teams (e.g. Regional and Global Programmes, Global Movement, Fundraising, Communications, Technology), ensuring process integrity and effective cross-team collaboration
- Stay abreast of developments relating to the area of work and be available to respond to on-demand internal and external stakeholder needs
- When necessary, represent the organisation at relevant fora within area of expertise as needed; build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Research & Knowledge Team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary, including by providing administrative support, including in the organisation of events/meetings, travel, financial and donor reporting, etc.
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- University degree in a relevant field of the social sciences, such as political science, sociology, economics, public administration or a related field, with an academic emphasis on research
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in social research with a track record of producing operationally and policy relevant research
- Substantive experience in research coordination in a multi-country/international setting
- Experience in providing training, technical assistance and quality control on applied research projects, preferably in a multi-country/comparative context, with excellent attention to detail
- Strong knowledge and experience in research design, development of tools and methodologies
- Recognised expertise in governance and anti-corruption required, preferably with a focus on corrupt money flows and/or political integrity; knowledge and expertise on political economy of corruption in development settings, exclusionary effects of corruption, gender and corruption and/or service delivery, an advantage
- Demonstrated organisational and project management skills with strong organisational skills and the ability to successfully manage priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Solid writing, editing and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently, particularly at distance communication
- Professional language proficiency in written and spoken English, additional languages an asset
- Proven commitment to social justice issues and the values of Transparency International
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic experts in the field of anti-corruption, driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- opportunities to learn and grow, including regular Show & Tell meetings and visits by external experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is October 30th, 2022.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media: