Vacancy Announcement No: UPU/22/P3/FT-C/376
Title: Compliance Expert
Type of contract: Fixed-term (Core) Appointment
Duration: Three years
22 September 2022
Application Deadline: 2 November 2022
(41 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organizational Unit: Postal Operations Directorate (DOP )
Duty Station: Bern Switzerland
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: As soon as possible
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
Provision of expertise:
- Under the supervision of the programme manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of projects and proposals related to certification, compliance and process improvements;
- Conduct research and analytical studies in the areas of certification, compliance and process improvements;
- Provide expertise related to standards compliance.
1. Development of IT solutions for certification, compliance and process improvements:
- Design new IT solutions as needed;
- Develop and maintain centralized IT solutions such as compliance measurements, centralized accounting, etc.;
- Liaise with IT providers, mainly regarding hosting;
- Perform data analysis, provide on-demand data queries.
2. Provision of compliance expertise:
- Assess standards compliance results and proactively detect and raise data quality issues;
- Keep abreast of business priorities (such as electronic advance data (EAD), transport) and prioritize efforts accordingly;
- Propose adjustments to compliance checks when considered relevant;
- Liaise with designated operators (DOs) to assist them with compliance issues;
- Promote the participation of DOs and airlines in the UPU compliance programme.
3. Provision of support to the programme manager in the areas of certification, compliance and process improvement:
- Assist the programme manager with substantive and sensitive tasks to ensure achievement of the programme's goals;
- Contribute to the work of the POC bodies responsible for compliance;
- Provide expertise on possible process improvements based on compliance-related technology;
- When relevant, manage surveys or questionnaires relating to the programme; compile and analyze results;
- Work closely and share information with other IB programmes linked to compliance, specifically in the areas of Customs, security and standards.
4. Provision of secretariat to UPU bodies:
- Assist with/contribute to the preparation and organization of the meetings of the POC/CA or Congress committees and ad-hoc groups, providing support with tasks such as production, gathering and distribution of documents, briefings, presentations and exchanges of information, public-speaking, report drafting, etc.);
- Provide guidance to the assistant assigned to the programme in the area of compliance support services for the relevant POC/CA committees, standing groups and task forces.
5. Representation (within the framework of authority given by supervisors):
- Liaise with national authorities and regional and international bodies in knowledge sharing and exchange in the areas relevant to the programme;
- Participate in external meetings of a technical nature with expert groups; attend inter-agency or similar meetings and workshops for the transfer of information, gathering of data, and sharing of results and best practices relevant to the issues covered by the programme.
|QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED|
University degree (Bachelor or equivalent qualifications) in one of the following areas: management, logistics or information technology (IT).
At least five years of proven experience in the data management in international postal business.
1. IT skills:
- Architecture skills: ability to determine and design adequate IT solution to answer business needs;
- Ability to translate business requirements into functional and technical design;
- Ability to develop web-based IT solutions and modify existing web-based solutions, with focus on robustness and user-friendliness;
- Ability to design and maintain complex databases, manipulate data, build complex queries in SQL and automate data processes; knowledge of MS SQL Server an asset.
2. Business-related knowledge and associated technical skills:
- Excellent knowledge of UPU standards, especially EDI standards;
- Good knowledge of the international mail process.
3. Project management skills.
4. Ability to work independently on technical matter; interest in the business aspects with the ambition to understand business needs and translate them into adequate IT solutions.
Skills and abilities / competencies:
1. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
2. Ability to plan, organize and carry out activities independently.
3. Analytical skills.
Proficiency in English or French. Working knowledge of the other language would be an asset.
French is the official language of the UPU. English and French are the working languages of the UPU International Bureau.
Priority shall be given for an internal promotion.
Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year).
The UPU is committed to encouraging diversity within its workforce. Interested candidates from minority groups and/or with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated equally and in the strictest confidence.
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process.
(Net of tax)
|Post adjustment: 73.5 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.|
|The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.|
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
All applicants employed by postal entities and applying for a vacant position in the Professional (P) or Senior (D) category must be recommended and submitted through the competent postal authority.
Applications not satisfying this criterion may not be considered.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
|Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
|For further instructions regarding the online application process, please visit the UPU internet page at:|
|Currently accepting applications|
The UPU has a smoke-free environment