Programme Associate ( VAM) G6, South Area Office VA049-2022
syrian arab republic
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 06 October 2022
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract - G6
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: South Area Office
Number of required employees: 1
The Programme Associate VAM (and Resilience) will work within the Field Office’s (FO) Programme unit. They will work in close collaboration with CO VAM programme technical teams, as well as in coordination with FO units involved with programme implementation and coordination of external partners and stakeholders.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
WFP’s food security assessment and analysis (VAM) and Livelihood Unit, is seeking for Syrian nationals to fill multiple positions in multiple field office locations.
The incumbent will be expected to provide effective specialized support and technical analysis to Policy and Programme Activities that effectively meet food assistance needs. Specifically, the incumbent will contribute to VAM activities in their respective field offices including but not limited to coordinating and conducting food security assessments, information validation and triangulation, vulnerability review and targeting exercises and market price monitoring for food security reporting and programme design purposes. The incumbent will lead and contribute to implementation of Livelihood activities in line with the pillars of the Syria Livelihoods Strategy: Communal Assets Rehabilitation, Households Level Complementary Livelihoods Activities, and Bread Value Chain.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer and the overall supervision of the Head of Field Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Coordination and implementation of Food Security Assessments
- Participate, as and when needed in the design and implementation of VAM led assessments (FSA/FSLA, CFSAM, JAM, rapid and emergency assessments, etc
- Prepare data collections tools (questionnaires/checklists and other field materials) for FO led assessments
- Contribute to design, translation and testing of VAM assessment tools (ODK/MODA questionnaires, training manuals)
- Travel as necessary to the field to ensure quality data collection for VAM surveys and give necessary support to data collection teams;
Database set up, maintenance
- Support FO to rationalize existing data storage into a limited number of user-friendly databases, avoiding duplication with corporate VAM databases (online VAM portal…) and ensure their interoperability (imports/exports) with compliant tools (SPSS, Tableau, R, etc.)
- Develop and maintain data dictionaries and catalogues for FO generated datasets and databases; clean data and update databases; contribute to assuring data quality and consistency as well as following up on identified inconsistencies/discrepancies.
- Gather relevant food security information from key sources (media, online digests, official announcement and decrees, etc..) and timely inform FO and VAM unit got further processing/reporting
- Build and maintain Governorate/FO level events database (security, exchange rates, market prices, production surplus/deficit, drought) relevant to food security to serve as VAM secondary information when needed
Data Processing/Reporting and dissemination
- Compile food security related information and vulnerability information from situation and operations reports, VAM CO/RB/HQ bulletins and other sources as needed for FO and other WFP/VAM reporting purposes
- Support FO with data analysis activities using SPSS, Tableau, MODA dashboard and other modern technologies and prepare expected outputs (graphs, tables, short reports etc.) for further dissemination.
- Assist in drafting FO and VAM bulletins and reports as needed.
- Triangulate information from external sources as necessary and when requested to contribute to VAM analyses
- Take part in food security analysis for the Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) exercise as well as in HNO-related discussions/workshops.
- Support VAM GIS section in collection, updating and or validation of GPS coordinates of WFPpoints of interest (Offices, markets, FDPs, bakeries, etc)
Capacity building of staff and partners
- Contribute to development of training materials for VAM led trainings to partners.
- Train enumerators, staff from field offices and or third-party monitoring (TPM) firms, third on data collection techniques and use of Tablets and other technologies used in data collection.
- Train and give support to WFP staff for data entry and data extraction/reporting in and from VAM databases (Dataviz, VAM dashboards);
Vulnerability needs review (VNR)
- Contribute to coordination and implementation VNR phase 2 in the field
- Liaise with field CP on VNR related matters and timely report to FO/VAM for action taking
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Well organized, innovative, timely, complete, and accurate reports, records and databases, generated with compliance to WFP/VAM standards and with requirement of Syria Livelihoods and Resilience Strategy.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: At least six years of progressively responsible experience, including at least 1 year of experience related to VAM. Knowledge & Skills: Strong knowledge of data collection, treatment and presentation techniques. Advanced computer skills, including Excel, Power Point and Publisher. Medium to advanced hands-on experience with statistical analysis packages (SPSS, R, Stata, etc.) General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
Languages: Excellent command of English (both written and verbal communication) and a high level proficiency in Arabic.
Critical Success Factors: Sound judgment; ability to generate, transform, interpret, analyze and format data to resolve operational problems. Ability to work under pressure and or with minimumof supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural and social-economic backgrounds.
Desirable advantage: Intermediate to proficient command of data visualization tools (PowerBI, Tableau, R Shiny, etc.) and intermediate knowledge in tools and platforms for database design and managements (MS SQL, MySQL, Postgres, etc.). Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative survey techniques. Experience with mapping tools (Arc or Q GIS); Experience in the design and implementation of food aid programmes especially targeting process; Experience in working with both International NGOs (including UN Agencies) and Government Institutions. Knowledge of ODK Suite and popular management sites (MODA, ONA, KOBO, ENKETO) for field data collection and management
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Internal candidate : https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=173361&company=C0000168410P
External candidate: https://router.job-listing.wfp.org/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=173361&company=C0000168410P
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.