Programme Associate (Open for Moldova Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s presence in the Republic of Moldova has evolved from being a project-based office in 2007 to a Country Office with full delegated authority as of 2015. Currently, UN Women Moldova Country Office is implementing its Strategic Note (SN) for 2018-2022, which is aligned with the Republic of Moldova-United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018-2022 and the Global Strategic Plan of UN Women. The SN 2018-2022 aims at advancing progress under the following three Impact Areas (IA): IA1: More women from diverse groups fully participate and lead in governance processes and institutions, IA2: Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy, IA3: Public authorities, institutions and communities prevent violence against women and girls and deliver quality essential services.
In 2022, in the context of the war in Ukraine and refugee crisis, UN Women implements several initiatives aimed to support Government, local authorities and civil society organizations with response efforts to immediate humanitarian needs of women and girls and efforts focusing on GBV services and protection.
To support effective management and implementation of all activities, UN Women is looking for Programme Associates, who will join the teams working on refugee response.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Associate will work under guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Analyst to ensure smooth running of portfolio initiatives, provision of administrative and some programmatic services of the highest quality and standards to the UN Women Country Office, as well as national beneficiaries and stakeholders. In addition, the Programme Associate will assist Programme Analyst and Programme Officer and other personnel in implementation of day-to-day activities, as required.
The Programme Associate will apply and promote the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UN Women programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
1. Provide support to the formulation and implementation of the Programme/project:
- Provide operational inputs and administrative support in the preparation of Programme and Country Office Annual Work Plans, programme/project budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and tracking of the delivery of funds;
- Provide operational guidance and administrative support to the responsible/implementing parties on project implementation, including narrative and financial reporting to UN Women ;
- Provide administrative support for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Identify sources, gather and compile data and information for and draft internal documents, guidelines, speeches, concept notes and position papers, in collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams.
- Act as primary contact for operational aspects within programme team and liaise with relevant internal and external counterparts for getting additional clarifications/guidance.
2. Provide support to the financial management of Programme/project:
- Provide technical support in preparation and monitoring of programmes/projects budgets in line with UN Women policies/procedures and donor requirements. Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Ensure tracking of expenditures and revenue for the programme/projects, prepare regular expenditure/financial plans and reports, initiate corrections, provide advice on financial delivery projections.
- Verify financial documents from programme partners, including those for cash advances’ payment and clearance;
- Prepare documents for payments, create vouchers within the authorities aligned to the Internal Control Framework (ICF);
3. Provide operational support to the Programme/project:
- Provide inputs and draft Terms of Reference and technical specifications for procurement of goods and services, prepare lists of needs and draft analysis for procurement plan, conduct market research;
- Initiate procurement and recruitment processes in line with UN Women procedures, and coordinates with relevant parties the completion of these processes.
- Maintain communication with vendors upon contract signature, coordinates delivery of good/services, maintain records on receipt and distribution of goods, ensure proper documentation of processes, monitor contractors’ performance;
- Undertake logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization of meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel and transportation arrangements for the Programme Team and partners or beneficiaries, ensuring processing of travel-related payments;
- Provide support in coordination of other Programme personnel (interns, consultants, other administrative personnel);
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations, in collaboration with the Programme team; draft minutes of the meetings, as delegated, and maintain follow up communication after events/meetings;
- Organize, compile, and archive/upload to internal databases documentation on programme implementation processes; maintain filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials; maintain mailing lists.
4. Provide administrative support to partnership and resource mobilization:
- Organize, compile, and process documentation and information from donors, and programme team as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Assist with communication with various stakeholders, Programme’s partners and beneficiaries;
- Provide support in collecting inputs and materials on lessons learnt and knowledge management within Programme area and operational aspects.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- University degree in Business, Public Administration, Programme/Project Management, International Development, Human Rights or in the field of social sciences or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 4 (four) years of experience with administrative and financial work, project management support or related experience, preferably in development field;
- Substantive knowledge of and experience on gender equality and women's empowerment will be considered an advantage;
- Experience with application of Results-Based Management (RBM) to programme/project cycle will represent an asset;
- Experience in the UN system and agencies, international and development assistance organizations is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian is required.
- Working knowledge of Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
The United Nations in Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply
This is a local position; therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova are eligible to apply. Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc as attachment instead of CV/resume.
Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
The system will only allow one attachment, hence all supporting document e.g. P11, CV and Cover letter must be scanned as one attachment. Only qualified, shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women reserves the right to select more than one candidate from this advertising.