International Coordinator of the Youth Component
Parent Sector : Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
Duty Station: Luanda
Job Family: Social and Human Sciences
Type of contract : Consultant (Junior)
Duration of contract : 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07 Octobre 2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Biennale of Luanda is in line with the Action Plan for a Culture of Peace in Africa, adopted in Luanda, Angola, at the 2013 Pan-African Forum on "Sources and Resources for a Culture of Peace". The Biennale follows Decision 558 / XXIV, adopted in 2015, at the 24th session of the Conference of Heads of State and Government of the African Union, calling on the African Union Commission to work towards its organization, in consultation with UNESCO and the Government of the Republic of Angola.
The general objective of the Biennale of Luanda is to strengthen the Pan-African Movement for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence through the establishment of a multi-stakeholder partnership between governments, civil society, the artistic and scientific community, the sector private sector and international organizations.
This initiative strengthens the implementation of Objectives 16 and 17 of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and of the 7 Aspirations of the African Union's Agenda 2063, in particular: “The Agenda for Peace” and the flagship project “Silencing the Guns by 2020”. The Biennale also contributes to the implementation of UNESCO's operational strategy for Priority Africa (2014-2021), intended to provide African responses to the transformations affecting the economies and societies of the continent.
The first edition of the “Biennale of Luanda - Pan-African Forum for the Culture of Peace”, jointly organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the African Union (AU) and the Government of the Republic of Angola, was held in Luanda, Angola, from September 18 to 22, 2019. The second edition was held on a hybrid format, half online half in Luanda, Angola, from November 27 and 30, 2021.Long Description
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Yaounde regional Office for Central Africa and the supervision of the Head of the Social and Human Sciences Sector of UNESCO Regional Office for Central Africa, in the framework of the follow-up of the second edition of the Biennale of Luanda, with a specific focus on youth engagement and participation, the consultant shall do:
Youth mobilization and engagement, following the second edition of the Biennale of Luanda:
- Act as the Focal Point of the Youth Programme with partners and stakeholders;
- Follow up with the work of the youth networks in Africa and Diaspora, in collaboration with the members of the Ad Hoc Committee 2022 - 2023 including;
- Engage, liaise and ensure the Youth active involvement in the Biennale activities;
- Support the organization of the different committee meetings of the Biennale of Luanda;
- Ensure regular contributions from the Youth to the “voices of the biennale” bi-monthly newsletter;
- Draft statutory documents: reports, funding proposals, concept notes, meetings minutes and others as necessary;
- Contribute to identify and mobilize partners, sponsors and develop funding proposals;
- Design a strategy to improve the onboarding mechanism in order to increase the number of the youth in the network;
- Design a project support framework through which youth organizations in the network can improve their collaboration with the partners of the Alliance of Partners and implement initiatives and collaborative projects;
- Enable the participation of the youth at relevant events around Africa and around the world and facilitate the organization of events in collaboration with partners;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Youth Action Programme 2021 – 2023, adopted at the end of the Intergenerational Dialogue during the second edition of the Biennale of Luanda.
Project conception, fundraising and negotiation of other projects within the Social and Human Sciences Programme in Central Africa:
- Link youth Biennale activities with SHS regional projects in Central Africa and in particular to the “Tisserand de la Paix” project;
- Actively contribute to the HQ SHS for the initiative related to the Network of Youth Ministers (lead by SHS UNESCO) and link it to the Youth Biennale activities whenever relevant;
- Actively contribute to the research/study about the new concept on the culture of Peace (lead by SHS UNESCO.
Monitoring and Evaluation of the post-Biennale of Luanda workplan:
- Contribute to devise an M&E system and tools for the post-Biennale of Luanda workplan, together with specialists and colleagues responsible for the different departments;
- Participate in defining the axes for the workplan;
- Participate in periodical meetings and check-ups to carry out adjustments, improvements of the workplan;
- Contribute to build and streamline a system and tools for risk management.
- Monthly reports;
- Project support framework on M&E;
- Project support framework on partners mobilization;
- Onboarding strategy for the youth network;
- Supporting documents for the implementation strategy for the Network of Youth Ministers;
- Supporting documents for the research/study about the new concept on the culture of Peace.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Subjects: Human and Social Sciences, Violence Prevention and Conflict Resolution, Communication and Event Planning.
Language skills: Very good knowledge of English or French and good working knowledge of the other; Portuguese would be an asset.
Competencies and skills:
- Ability to work in a team and respect for diversity.
- accountability and commitment to continuous learning.
- planning and organizational skills; communication.
Experience in Youth Engagement, Social inclusion, Peace and Security, Peer Youth advisor-Trainer-Facilitator and Trainer would be an Asset.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.