Intensive Case Management Intern - Spring 2023
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
Significant portions of newly arrived clients are considered medically vulnerable, whose medical conditions have been compounded by living conditions overseas and are further exacerbated by systemic barriers to accessing healthcare in the U.S. The Intensive Case Management program focuses on reducing healthcare disparities for clients by facilitating their access to health care, education, resources, and psychosocial support.
· Provide on-going medical case management through assessment of immediate and long-term health needs.
· Assist in maintaining quality control of files.
· Accompany clients to medical appointments, aid clients in navigating local healthcare services, as well as report and coordinate necessary follow-up care.
- Intern will gain US field-office experience by interacting with and assisting vulnerable clients.
- Intern will acquire detailed knowledge of the US healthcare system.
- Intern will learn reporting requirements for resettlement agencies and how to capture data to improve services.