Senior Emergency Response Coordinator
IRC/DRC is seeking an experienced and dynamic person for the role of Senior Emergency Response Coordinator (SERC) to assist the country program and support a dynamic and proactive rapid emergency response mechanism and give active support for establishing and strengthening the Country Humanitarian Team
Under the directive of the IRC DRC country program, the SERC, with support from the Deputy Director for Program and the Regional Emergency Director, make regular updates of the national emergency preparedness and response plan. He is responsible for the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of emergency interventions, including fund-raising for emergency activities and leading staff capacity building, to save lives and alleviate the suffering of the most vulnerable people and communities affected by the crisis.
Key roles and responsibilities:
Establish and Sustain the Country Humanitarian Team
1. In close collaboration with the RED, leading the design and operationalization of a new model of preparedness and response structure for IRC in DRC with clear metrics for success, using lessons learned from the attempted establishment of a Country Emergency Team.
2. Work on the sustainability of the Country Humanitarian Team with active data collection and analyze learned lessons and best practices for capitalization and sustainability. Proactive on appeals for emergency projects/programs proposals and ensure that they are prepared and concerted efforts with technical leads In IRC ad the grants, operations, and supply are all in coordinated process.
3. Make feedback from emergency interventions an important vector to make the Country Humanitarian Team sustainable and sustainable in the context of the DRC
4. Strategic leadership and preparedness and mobilization during emergencies is effectively done in the continuous learning process and innovations.
5. Update and implement the emergency response plan in connection with the early warning mechanism. Ensure that the emergency preparedness and response strategy is aligned with SAP objectives in the DRC. Ensure that Sectoral contributions (Health, Protection, Education, Safeguarding and GEDI) are provided in coherence with IRC standards, policies and best practices at the global level to support all country program emergency preparedness and response mechanism.
6. Make regular updates information/alert databases and ensure the flow of information and communications crucial for the planning and implementation of emergency preparedness and response management.
7. Continuous, effective and strategic coordination, communication, consultation and liaison is maintained with the government, UN agencies, NGOs, donors and allies, to support the specific needs of people affected by crisis situations in highly complex
8. Works the country program to ensure that emergency partnership strategies and feedback mechanisms are well integrated into the emergency preparedness and response plan.
9. Operational Leadership in Emergency Response: Leads environmental scans, supports teams in response, supports needs assessments, develops response strategies, engages key humanitarian actors and coordination mechanisms. The needs assessment is conducted effectively to ensure quality emergency response according to IRC standards.
10. Lead and support assessments of the emergency affecting people and communities in IRC's SAP area, in cooperation with the Region and EHAU.
Sustainability and Learning
11. Create a space to capitalize on Emergency experiences in operations (region/EHAU/CP/ Partner /clients).
12. Work on the sustainability of the CET with active data collection and analyze learned lessons and best practices for capitalization and sustainability.
13. Develop a culture of feedback, strategic consultations with assisted communities, local authorities’ governments, UN, NGO’s and other counterparts.
14. Initiate creative and sustainable fundraising strategies to support the Grant unit, through building good networks with donors who might fund emergency response programs/projects.
• Advanced degree or demonstrated experience in the humanitarian sector in one of the following fields: social sciences, international law, public health, nutrition, international relations, business administration or other related disciplines. Preferably a combination of management, humanitarian and relevant technical fields.
• Background in situation analysis, needs assessments and emergency response project implementation.
• Demonstrably excellent written and oral communication skills; strong English writing skills required.
• Experience with integrated emergency response required.
• Proficient in MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
• Flexibility to adapt to changing demands and the ability to work under pressure are essential
• More than ten years of progressively responsible professional experience at the national and/or international level in the development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration of humanitarian programs/projects
• Experience working in a country with a complex humanitarian context or experience working in a difficult field environment.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
• Experienced in emergency preparedness and response is required.
• Reporting and data management.
• Proposal and concept note development desired.
• Budget management - Team player - Flexibility - Ability to work under pressure, long work hours, and high workload.
• Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
• Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual. - Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
• Proven leadership and team management skill is an advantage.
• Participation and leadership in emergency preparedness and response mandatory.
• Coordination experience is added advantage
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
• Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
• 30% possibility of travelling expected and prolonged stay in the field in addition to international trips
Specific Security Situation/ Housing: The designated base location for this position is Goma in North Kivu Province. Crime and theft are common so there is limited freedom of movement. Civil conflict is ongoing in parts of the Eastern DRC and the area is considered unstable. Strict adherence to security guidelines is requested of all IRC staff. The Emergency Response Coordinator will be housed in shared housing with other expatriate IRC staff. This position is unaccompanied.
Standards of Business Conduct: IRC workers are expected to uphold the values and principles outlined in the IRC WAY - Standards of Business Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality.
Safeguarding: Strictly adhere to the IRC Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy and all other policies, including those relating to security and fraud prevention.
In accordance with the safeguarding, IRC maintains policies on protecting beneficiaries/clients from exploitation and abuse, child protection, Anti-Harassment in the Workplace, fiscal integrity and anti-retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an equal opportunity employer. IRC considers all job applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, gender, color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Diversity, Inclusion and Gender Equality: IRC recognizes and honors the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. IRC is also committed to closing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce, including parental leave, gender-sensitive safety protocols and other supportive benefits.