The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Program Coordinator to support the APCC (African Population Cohorts Consortium) project’s program management activities, as well as lead stakeholder engagement and capacity strengthening activities.
- Engage stakeholders and lead in the co-creation of governance arrangements;
- Develop standard operating procedures for research cohorts participating in the APCC;
- Develop guidelines for consistency in data and bio-specimen governance across the APCC (sharing, ownership, commitment to harmonizing);
- Support the development of guidelines dealing with and resolving conflict (dispute/grievance mechanisms with sufficient independence to adjudicate less or more serious issues regarding sharing data);
- Develop guidelines for authorship and publications using APCC materials;
- Provide templates for APCC rational and proposed activities in line with in-country data protection and sharing guidelines;
- Develop guidelines for onboarding and managing country specific principal investigators and data producers;
- Development of guidelines of how unexpected challenges such as epidemics, may influence governance principles and structure;
- Enablement of trans disciplinarily in APCC operations;
- Develop communication products e.g. blogs on data governance in an ecosystem with multi-disciplinary datasets;
- Represent the Centre in high- level national and regional forums including relevant technical working groups and expert committees;
- Lead and participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences;
- Plan and coordinate the APCC program and its activities including supporting activities of the governance and capacity building cores;
- Ensure implementation of policies and practices as per Wellcome Trust regulations;
- Maintaining budget and tracking expenditures/transactions by working closely with the project grants and financial officers;
- Manage communications on APCC through media relations, social media and the APHRC Policy Engagement and Communication team;
- Schedule and organize meetings/events and maintain agenda for APHRC related activities; and
- Prepare monthly/quarterly project reports.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- PhD in Health Systems Strengthening, Public Health, Applied Sciences or related field.
- At least seven years’ post-master’s degree experience in a research setting.
- Experience conducting field research and managing data collection teams.
- Experience in engaging policy makers and key stakeholders with research evidence.
- Good writing skills and experience in developing standard operating procedures in relevant subject areas.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
This position is classified under Internationally Recruited Positions (IRP), Grade VI in our scales.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons