Resettlement Case Management Intern - Spring 2023
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
Resettlement case management interns will assist IRC’s resettlement team with daily activities that help to welcome and contribute to the self-sufficiency of refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants in the Baltimore metropolitan area. The resettlement team is the first point of contact for newly arrived refugees and offers support, guidance and ongoing orientation through up to five years after arrival. Interns will work directly with individual clients and families to assist with providing resettlement services.
Resettlement Casework Coordinator, Resettlement Caseworker or Resettlement Program Manager
- Learn about the services that refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants are eligible for upon arrival in the U.S., including public benefits in Maryland and local resources in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
- Learn about strategies for effective, holistic case management.
- Develop resourcefulness and problem-solving skills to work independently in different situational contexts.
- Learn to communicate effectively with clients across cultures.
- Under the direction of the intern’s supervisor and as COVID-19 safety precautions allow, assist clients remotely or in-person with key services such as activating EBT cards for food stamps, applying for Social Security cards, or obtaining Maryland ID cards.
- Assist clients to coordinate transportation to medical and other required appointments.
- In coordination with the resettlement team, conduct remote, office, home or community-based orientation sessions on topics such as opening bank accounts, using EBT cards are grocery stores, or using public transportation throughout Baltimore.
- Assist with service documentation through case-notes and case file maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.