Senior Research Associate, Gender and Social Inclusion (N-22-118)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: N-22-118- SRA/HQ/NRS Senior Research Associate, Gender and Social Inclusion CIFOR - ICRAF through its host institution in Peru the International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Senior Research Associate, Gender and Social Inclusion, who will provide research, engagement, and capacity development expertise on GESI at CIFOR-ICRAF’s Peru office, dividing their time across two projects - the
Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS REDD+) and Peru’s Agroforestry Concessions Scheme: Enabling Multi-level Implementation of an Innovative, Transformative Policy (AGROFOR), in collaboration with those projects’ partners.
CIFOR’sGlobalComparativeStudy(GCS)onREDD+(https://www2.cifor.org/gcs/)hasproducedinformation, analysis,andtoolstopromoteeffective,efficientandequitable(3E)REDD+outcomes,includingsecurerights andlivelihoodsforindigenouspeoplesand localcommunities. Theprojectisenteringitsfourthphase(2021- 2023) with a focus on using science to help overcome the barriers to implementation of 3E REDD+ policies and actions in Peru, Brazil, DRC, and Indonesia in light of growing finance for forests. The Senior Research will join work package 3.2, which focuses on rights-based approaches and safeguards to support transformational change. This work package will produce evidence for different audiences to support implementation of rights-based approaches associated with safeguarding IPLC rights in REDD+ and other forest-friendlyinitiativesinPeru,withopportunitiestocollaboratewithworkpackage3.2’sworkinIndonesia and the DRC as well as GCS REDD+’s global team.
The Peru’s Agroforestry Concessions Scheme: Enabling Multi-level Implementation of an Innovative, Transformative Policy (AGROFOR) aims to build technical, legal, and financial conditions to generate guidelines, lessons learned and financing to ensure the successful implementation of CUSAFs on a national scale. Advancing in the implementation of the CUSAFs is a modality to grant rights to the most vulnerable and is consistent with institutional commitments to equity, justice, and respect for human rights. In this regard, theprojectseeks a Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialistto incorporate both approaches in the AgroFor project activities led by ICRAF.
The position: The Senior Research Associate, Gender and Social Inclusion position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to Scientist, Equal opportunities, Gender, Justice and Tenure (EGT) from CIFOR-ICRAF Key responsibilities:
• Co-design and participate in research and engagement activities towards outputs under GCS REDD+’s Work Package 3.2 (Safeguards and Right-based approaches).
• Co-lead the development of field and desk research and production of written outputs on rights-based approaches pathways under WP3.2.
• Using WP3.2’s databases, co-author articles, Infobriefs and blogs on safeguards and RBA- relevant topics in Peru as well as in comparative global articles.
• Design and deliver capacity development workshops with project partners as required by the project’s aims.
• Translate and edit texts as required by the project’s aims.
• Participate in administrative tasks including project reporting and grant writing. • Participate in team meetings and represent research team in relevant meetings/workshops as required by the project’s aims.
• In each area of the AgroFor project identify interventions and practices strategic for women
empowerment and increase youth engagement and mobilization.
• Based on direct engagement with women and youth in the communities of interventions, and
in collaboration with the technical and legal teams of ICRAF and SPDA, elaborate an action plan
for the incorporation of GESI perspective in 1) in the practices promoted as a compliance
standard for CUSAFs; 2) in the farm level plan (plan de finca), and 3) in the CUSAFs community
• Reinforcethe capacities of the AgroFor projectteam and partners in the implementation of the
Action Plan for the incorporation of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion approaches in the
implementation of CUSAFs, and its reflection in the normative and financial components of the
project through a series of workshops and supervision of backstop activities of the technical,
financial, and legal teams.
What are we looking for?
• Master’s degree in in Anthropology, Gender Studies, Geography, Sociology or other related
• Minimum of 8 years of experience applying GESI and rights/environmental justice approaches
to research/engagement on climate change, development and/or conservation fields in the
• Demonstrated experience designing methodologies and carrying out research in rural Peruvian
• Demonstrated experience with research, capacity development, and engagement
methodologies and tools relevant to rural Indigenous Peoples and local communities and/or
• Demonstrated experience publishing academic articles and/or reports for research for impact
dealing with GESI themes/issues.
• Demonstrated experience organizing and facilitating workshops.
• Demonstrated experience engaging with government and civil society actors to disseminate
research in Peru.
• Demonstrated awareness of Peru’s climate change and forest governance and policy
• Leadership and advocacy skills, good communication and synthesis skills on technical-scientific
and facilitation issues.
• Demonstrated experience authoring articles and/or reports and policy briefs in English and/or
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
• Experience working in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams and research/engagement
• Willingness to travel as per the project’s needs.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIFOR ICRAF is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R for D
background and is dedicated to generating and applying the best available knowledge on the
diverse roles that trees play in agricultural landscapes for the benefit of both farmers and the
environment. • The selected candidate will integrate a dynamic and rapidly growing team with exciting
opportunities and start a career in an international research center.
• ICRAF and CIP are members of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly
located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Excellent working environment
• Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
• Fixed term contract of 1 year with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and
contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional
qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on the 9 of November and will
continueuntil thepost is filled. All applications will beacknowledged; only short-listed candidates will be
contacted. ThisisaNationallyRecruited Staff (NRS)positionlimitedto Peruviannationalsandpermanent
This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: