Specialist in Advising and Capacity Building on Data Analytics
New York City
Result of Service
The Specialist in Advising and Capacity Building on Data Analytics will play an advisory and capacity-building role in managing data platforms and developing guidelines and trainings to ensure that the Evaluation Team has the adequate knowledge and skillset to manage the CPAS data ecosystem.Work Location
6 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The position is located in the Evaluation Team within the Policy, Evaluation and Training
Division (DPET) of the Department of Peace Operations (DPO). The mandate of DPET was
established by the General Assembly in its resolution 61/279 and was extended in its
resolution 67/287. The functions of the Division are set out in the Secretary-General's Bulletin
on the Organization of the DPO (ST/SGB/2010/1). The Division comprises the Office of the
Director (which includes the Evaluation Team and the Partnerships Team), the Integrated
Training Service and the Policy and Best Practices Service.
In 2018, the DPO senior leadership directed the Evaluation Team to develop and implement
the Comprehensive Planning and Performance Assessment System (CPAS) for United
Nations peacekeeping operations. CPAS has been a critical tool for the Department to deliver
on its mandate and the high-level priorities by allowing peacekeeping operations to more
systematically assess their operating environment, identify what influence they aim to have,
and assess progress towards these goals using data and analysis. The data and analysis are
used to track impact over time, assess performance, inform future plans, and formulate
recommendations to decision-makers and mission leadership to enhance mandate
implementation and the effectiveness of UN peacekeeping operations as a whole to better
achieve global peace and security objectives.
This process is fully supported by an Information Technology Platform which allows
missions to develop integrated mission plans, collect and share data and analysis, and generate
automatic reports that can be used to meet planning, decision-making, reporting and
communications requirements. Since 2021, CPAS has been launched in all UN peacekeeping
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of the Evaluation Team, the Specialist in Advising
and Capacity Building on Data Analytics will play an advisory and capacity-building role in
managing data platforms and developing guidelines and trainings to ensure that the
Evaluation Team has the adequate knowledge and skillset to manage the CPAS data
The Specialist in Advising and Capacity Building on Data Analytics will be responsible for the following duties:
• Advise and train staff on the creation of data mapping for interoperability across different systems; Advise and support stakeholders on systems using the Power Platform (Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate);
• Provide expert advice on the development of reports and interactive dashboards derived from multiple data sources using state-of the-art tools to enable political or strategic insight and decision-making at various levels;
• Advise and translate on-going field, HQ and user requirements of CPAS into a technical solution and coordinate closely with key stakeholders and provide high-level analysis of their data requirements;
• Advise on the creation of data mapping for interoperability across different systems; Advise and support stakeholders on systems using the Power Platform (Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate);
• Advise on the refinement and analysis of performance measures in consultation with stakeholders;
• Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear, polished manner; and,
• Develop technical documentation, guidelines, training materials and deliver specialized capacity building training sessions on data analytics;
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Statistics, Data Science, Information Systems / Technology. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of business intelligence/analytics is required; • A minimum of one year experience in design and development of Microsoft Power Platform is required • Knowledge of MS Power BI, Ms Power Apps and relational databases such as Microsoft SQL and other databases is required; • Experience working and liaising closely with clients, using a user-centric design process is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the consultancy position advertised, fluency in English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.