Action against Hunger is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to combat hunger and dangerous situations that threaten men, women, and children. Currently 500 expats and more than 5,000 employees are working for Action against Hunger in more than forty-six countries working in projects concerning four areas of focus: nutrition, health, food security and water and sanitation.
In Lebanon, the Syrian crisis continues to generate political, social, and economic pressure due to the war in Lebanon and keeps more than 1.5 million refugees in a situation of increasing vulnerability. In this environment of political, economic and social uncertainty, our teams have maintained their high levels of humanitarian response and aid to Lebanon. Likewise, our interventions have been maintained in the Bekaa and northern areas, as well as in the south of the country, with a special focus on working in partnership or in consortium with other organizations and on institutional strengthening of the relationship with both donors. institutional, such as with local authorities and entities.
WE WORK IN LEBANON AGAINST COVID-19
- Focusing on Syrian refugee population and Lebanese host communities,
- mobilization committees,
- isolation centers,
- municipalities and service providers.
- Conducting training for health personnel.
- Distributing disinfection and dignity kits.
- Installing latrines for people with specific needs in Aarsal.
- Carrying out channel cleaning to ensure proper drainage. Distributing water through tanker trucks.
The WASH Coordinator will be responsible of:
Following-up implementation and increasing the quality of the WASH Programs in both bases (South and Bekaa) in close collaboration with technical teams. The Technical Coordinator will also liaise with both WASH PMs to support on reporting, project design and monitoring of current interventions.
WASH Coordinator is also in charge of orienting the direction of the Department, aligning the strategy of the Department with the overall mission strategy and the Technical Programming Framework defined at HQ level. The WASH Coordinator will be in charge to decide which sub-sectors will be prioritize in the country based on the needs and gaps identified by the teams.
The position also entails a considerable amount of time spent on nourishing external relationships, liaising with all type of external stakeholders: donors, local, regional, national authorities, working groups and overall representing Action Against Hunger in the country.
Finally, WASH Coordinator will be in charge of capitalizing lessons learnt and build the capacity of ACF WASH teams, feeding up the future ACF Sectorial Strategy in Lebanon.
Objective 1: (30%):Ensure quality implementation of WASH activities, providing technical advice and guidance to the technical teams at base level
- Define program implementation modalities and methodology, from emergency relief to long term actions in collaboration with the technical teams including, but not limited to, technical specifications, BOQs, identification of activities and follow-up and workplans.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the technical teams when required: program orientation, monitoring, team support and follow-up at field level, ensuring quality and timely implementation of the WASH activities.
- Support, when needed, on the timely procurement of goods and services and budget follow-up of programmes, in close coordination with Logistics and Finance Departments and the WASH PMs.
- Ensure team’s monitoring and evaluation plan is effective, logical, and moving towards achieving the expected results and indicators of the project.
- Identify, jointly with the WASH teams program constraints and bottlenecks during implementation, propose solutions and support teams while implementation the proposed actions.
- Participate in the development of technical and programmatic tools related to monitoring and evaluation of WASH projects (Monitoring tools, ToRs for consultants and evaluators, ad hoc reports, capitalization reports) in direct relation with Programme Managers, Country Director, MEAL and Coordinator and Head of Bases.
Objective 2: (30%): Identification of needs, evaluation assessments and project design – Strategy of the WASH Department
- Collect and analyse primary and secondary data from different sources related to the WASH sector gaps in Lebanon, especially focusing on South Lebanon and Bekaa regions.
- Design and define needs assessments to be performed at field level and identify WASH needs of the most vulnerable populations across the country.
- Propose cost-effective implementation options and high-impact humanitarian responses to identified needs. Define program implementation modalities and methodologies, from emergency relief to long-term actions.
- Design and prepare WASH interventions in coordination with other Departments ensuring the technical relevancy of the Action by providing expertise, assertive and efficient inputs to each proposed intervention.
- Based on the identified needs and in alignment with the Mission objectives, define WASH Strategy for the coming years in collaboration with the Senior Management Team and the rest of the WASH team.
Objective 3: (30%): External coordination and donor reporting
- Maintain and develop fruitful external relationship with relevant WASH stakeholders: Donors, Ministries of Energy, Water and Environment, National Water Sector Group and other WASH partners.
- Ensure effective communication with regional and local stakeholders (Water Establishments and Municipalities) involved in the WASH Sector during project definition and/or during implementation.
- Work closely with the WASH PMs and Grants Manager to produce and revise donors reports on a timely and quality manner in collaboration with the technical teams.
- Represent Action Against Hunger in technical working groups and other external coordination meetings, participating in stakeholders’ relevant meetings when needed.
Objective 4: (10%): Capacity building for WASH teams and capitalization of previous and future interventions in the WASH Sector
- Participate in the recruitment process of key WASH staff and assess the capacity of the existing team, suggesting to conduct trainings and propose new recruitments when needed.
- Identify WASH training and propose training plans to the technical teams, ssupport the team through coordination meetings and capacity building initiatives.
- Capitalize on current and past pilot experiences (Cash for Wash, Shelter/WASH interventions, decentralized sanitation systems) and provide a framework for upscaling those programmes.
- Develop and prepare SOPs to standardize intervention proposed by the WASH Department according to the different settings (ITS, Collective Shelters, Lebanese communities…etc).
Objective 5: Security
- Respect the security rules specified in the mission and base security plan, see to it that the team under his/her responsibility complies with the security plan and perform the security management tasks that can be assigned in its protocols.
- Communicate to the security managers of the working location any security related information or noncompliance with the security plan.
Objective 6: Support humanitarian activities of Action Against Hunger
- Support the emergency interventions of the organization as per the employee’s abilities.
- Support any activity that helps reaching our humanitarian goals, as per the employee’s abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Public Health or Environmental Sciences.
- Specific training on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in humanitarian context.
- Specific training on Programme Cycle Management.
Technical specific knowledge:
- Good analytical skills and capability to work in a precise, structured, and detailed manner.
- Must have good drafting and reporting skills.
- Experienced on the development of technical assessment and monitoring tools.
- Significant understanding and experience with project budgets and logistic procedures.
- Good communication skills, diplomacy, and coordination skills.
- 3 years of previous experience in similar position or relevant experience in the in the WASH Sector for at least 5 years
- Previous experience in WASH Program management in emergencies and Water Governance.
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience supporting emergency or post-emergencies responses.
- Experienced in training and team capacity-building.
- Experience in representation/external coordination.
English (compulsory working language, spoken, read and written). Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
IT and specific systems:
Strong computer skills in Office environment and data management. Knowledge of GIS software or AutoCAD is a plus.
Action Against Hunger – Lebanon seeks to promote gender equality and is committed to empowering women to participate effectively in their communities, we strongly encourage women to apply.
We Strongly encourage people with disabilities to apply.
ACF has a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, and abuse (SEA).