The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization that advances democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Africa, Asia, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
In 2022 International IDEA will define a new strategy for the period 2023-2027 which will also include an institutional workstream on Digitalization and Democracy. The workstream will focus on three themes: “Digitalization and the Global State of Democracy”, “Protecting electoral processes in context of digitalization”, and “Digitalization and participation”.
The workstream aims at expanding the institute’s existing impact areas to cover relevant digitalization related developments in International IDEA’s specific niche for engagement in the field of knowledge production, policy advisory capacities, and building partnerships.
The Senior Advisor, Digitalization and Participation will have a specific focus on the “Digitalization and Participation” theme, where developing and implementing programming on the nexus between digitalization, democracy, gender inclusion, and youth is required.
Key assignments will consist of elaborating project proposals, supporting fundraising and the implementation of projects under the “Digitalization and participation” theme. The incumbent will ensure that knowledge resources, practical tools, and technical and substantive support provided are of the highest quality; and work actively to establish International IDEA is an agenda setter and recognized authority in this area of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads thematic work on Digitalization and Participation and coordinates closely with other teams working on the Digitalization and Democracy workstream ensuring alignment of key messages, providing expertise, substantive advise and leveraging synergies between the themes.
- Leads in building and strengthening relevant professional networks and institutional partnerships with practitioners, policymakers, and academics.
- Leads the development of high-quality global comparative knowledge resources and practical tools, ensuring innovation and positioning of International IDEA as an agenda setter/authority.
- Coordinates the provision of consistent and policy-relevant technical and substantive support to institutional and political reform process on the ground, in close collaboration with Regional Programmes (RP).
- Provides comments on, and peer reviews of, policy-relevant analysis and knowledge resources produced by other teams in GP and RP to ensure that the dimension of digitalization, participation and democracy is adequately and consistently considered.
- Develops agenda items, concept notes, lists of speakers, panels and discussion sessions, work programmes for seminars, workshops, training courses, dialogues, consultations, and other activities.
- Represents International IDEA at international events, conferences and meetings on digitalization and democracy to advocate that a democracy dimension is adequately addressed in major policy fora.
- Prepares draft speeches, statements, presentations, and briefings for a wide range of purposes and policy audiences, including for the Secretary-General and International IDEA Senior Management.
- Leads communication actions through International IDEA’s multimedia resources, in collaboration with the Communications Team, related to the dissemination of key outputs and outcomes.
- Actively mobilizes resources and engages in fund-raising as defined in its implementation phase and beyond, within the institutional strategy.
- Has in-depth knowledge in digitalization, participation, inclusion, and/or democracy support, acquired both academically and through practical experience working in this field and with actors, boundary partners and target audiences of International IDEA.
- Has experience in developing and launching new projects, through their overall design, the drafting of conceptual frameworks, the definition and implementation of workplans, budgets, selection of staff and consultants, etc.
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the project life cycle, i.e., from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, oversees publications and inputs from contributors.
- Has good level of political sensitivity, personal initiative and creativity.
- Is able to relate to and influence senior policy makers, Member States’ representatives, other actors in the democracy assistance fields.
- Possess an extensive international network of professional contacts relating to International IDEA’s work.
- Contributes to publications; is recognized as an expert in her/his broad professional community.
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into her/his field of expertise.
- Fosters team-based activities in her/his unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute.
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues.
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in her/his projects.
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with institutional guidelines.
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values; Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities
- Director, Global Programmes.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate Degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, Human Rights, Sustainable Development, Digital Law, Digital Innovation, or related fields;
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience working in the field of digitalization and democratic participation, online harms (including disinformation), development co-operation, democracy assistance, and related links to gender inclusion, youth participation.
- Experience and knowledge of topics such on the nexus between digitalization and participation, such as online regulation, digital campaigning, digitalization in elections, artificial intelligence, etc. would be an asset
- Relevant practical experience in substantively supporting advocacy initiatives on democratic processes is essential.
- Relevant experience with democracy support projects, programming procedures, project cycle management, etc.
- Relevant experience from an international and/or regional organization in the work of democracy assistance would be an asset.
- Experience with resource mobilization and partnership building.
- Experience working with international teams, expert networks, and communities of practice.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would also be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- One (1) year fixed term appointment
- Remuneration - EUR 7096 per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 30 November 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: