Senior Democratization Officer (S2)
Mitrovica | osce mission in kosovo
General Minimum Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working with the OSCE are:
- Excellent physical condition
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- First-level university degree in political sciences, social sciences, international relations, public policy, law or equivalent professional experience
Work experience in either public administration, relevant international organizations, civic associations (including NGOs), political parties/affairs, or economic and political development
Demonstrable organizational, communication, analytical and interpersonal skills
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
First-level university degree in a relevant field
Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience
Mission Specific Requirements
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- First-level university degree in public administration, political science or similar relevant field;
- International field work experience in monitoring, reporting and policy-making;
- Proven experience in project cycle management;
- Knowledge of and solid experience in good governance principles and strong familiarity with the European Charter of Local Self Government;
- Professional fluency in English language skills and the capability of drafting documents under pressure and within short deadlines;
- Knowledge of and solid experience in democratization issues (media, elections) and public participation in decision making, in particular with women, youth, and civil society;
- Staff management experience and team-building ability;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as team member, with persons of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Cultural sensitivity and judgment;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and within limited times frames;
- Ability to operate Windows applications, including Word processing and e-mail;
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and the ability to drive using manual transmission is a requirement for this post. New hires will be required to pass an OMIK administered driving test using a manual transmission vehicle within six months of assuming the post and be able to confidently self drive.
- Knowledge of one or more local languages;
- Knowledge of the regional political situation and legal system of the mission area;
- Demonstrated negotiation and/or conflict resolution skills.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Regional Centre and the overall supervision of the Director of the Human Rights and Communities Department, the incumbent works within the Field Support Section. The Senior Democratization Officer will be tasked with the following duties:
- Liaising with the management of the Regional Centre on all monitoring activities in the area of responsibility;
- Performing specific monitoring tasks in relation to local governance, media, elections, participation of women, youth and civil society and other issues assigned;
- In close co-operation with his/her supervisor and the Democratization Department Chiefs of Sections and Senior Management, supervising programmatic staff in the Regional Centre as assigned;
- Executing and supervising the implementation of projects in close cooperation with his/her supervisor and the Democratization Department Chiefs of Sections;
- Compiling regular reports on democratization activities and submitting those reports to the Director of the Regional Centre, to the Human Rights and Communities Department and Democratization Department Senior Management and to the relevant staff; drafts spot reports on request of the Director of the Regional Centre or Departments;
- Ensuring close co-ordination and co-operation with Headquarters, to ensure fair utilisation of capacities in the field; responding to requests of the Departments and ensuring realization of tasking requested by programmatic Sections;
- Facilitating the work of other professional and support staff in the Regional Centre;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Mission in Kosovo, please see: http://www.osce.org/mission-in-kosovo
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds. Please note that nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are not eligible to apply.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Candidates should, prior to applying, verify with their respective nominating authority to which extent financial remuneration and/or benefit packages will be offered.
Please apply to your relevant authorities well in advance of the deadline expiration to ensure timely processing of your application. Delayed nominations will not be considered. The OSCE can only process Secondment applications that have been nominated by participating States. For queries relating to your application, please refer to the respective delegation as listed here: https://www.osce.org/contacts/delegations.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: