Language Services Assistant (G4)
The OSCE has a comprehensive approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic and environmental, and human aspects. It therefore addresses a wide range of security-related concerns, including arms control, confidence- and security-building measures, human rights, combating human trafficking, national minorities, democratization, policing strategies, counter-terrorism and economic and environmental activities. All 57 participating States enjoy equal status, and decisions are taken by consensus on a politically, but not legally binding basis.
The OSCE Secretariat in Vienna assists the Chairmanship in its activities, and provides operational and administrative support to the field operations, and, as appropriate, to other institutions.
The Office of the Secretary General (OSG) plays a key role in supporting the Secretary General in the effective implementation of his/her mandate and specific tasks given to him/her by the OSCE participating States. This includes primarily assisting the Secretary General in his/her activities, serving as a focal point for liaison and support to the Chairperson-in-Office, and co-ordinating tasks across the Secretariat. It groups horizontal services such as Executive Management, Communications and Media Relations, Legal Services, External Co-operation, Security Management, Gender Issues, Conference and Language Services, Central Records Management, and oversees the OSCE Documentation Centre in Prague (DCiP). The OSG ensures effective co-ordination of policy advice provided to the Secretary General and the Chairmanship, and management decisions taken by the Secretary General.
Conference and Language Services, as part of the OSG, provides professional support to the decision-making bodies of the OSCE and the respective delegations on matters dealing with the organization of meetings, including interpretation and translation, documents control, editing and word processing services.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
If selected for the position, you will work under the supervision of the Chief Linguist, in close co-ordination with the Supervisor, Documents Control Unit, and will be processing and formatting documents in the Russian language team, including statements, decisions and journals of meetings, and will provide administrative processing and support to the Language Services Secretariat. In detail, you will be responsible for the following:
- Organizing and maintaining the electronic filing system, ensuring that all files are properly indexed for easy reference; general file management of finalized translations on the computer;
- Preparing documents for translation using the appropriate computer-aided translation (CAT) tool, by maintaining and updating computer files of the translation memories of the CAT tool; seeking and entering, in close co-ordination with the translators, new terms in the terminology and reference database of the CAT tool;
- Proofreading finalized translations for completeness, layout and spelling;
- Assisting in the administration of short-term language staff and with the recruitment of interpreters and translators; Maintaining and updating the database for interpreters and translators;
- Preparing and processing of contracts and other relevant forms;
- Keeping related office files;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Secretariat, please see https://www.osce.org/secretariat
- Completed secondary education;
- A minimum of three years of relevant office support experience;
- Experience in word processing and proofreading, with a high standard of speed and accuracy;
- Professional fluency in English, both oral and written;
- Professional fluency in Russian, both oral and written, including spelling and grammar at mother-tongue level;
- Working knowledge of another official OSCE language is an asset;
- Experience in using databases, document workflow systems and language service related software (Trados);
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and with the flexibility to occasionally work overtime;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity as well as an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deduction, is EUR 3,620 per month. OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria. Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see https://www.osce.org/participating-states.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please note that for this position the OSCE does not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests, visas and relocation.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: