Project Support Analyst - Retainer
New York City
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The incumbent will report to the UNOPS Project Manager.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Project Support Analyst is responsible for supporting the Project Manager with the day-to-day implementation of the project, including monitoring of the project budget, identifying probable issues that may need attention, supporting in problem analysis and solution identification, drafting required correspondences to stakeholders concerned and preparing project reports.
Support the coordination and management of communications to ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
In coordination with the project manager, advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
Delivery and Performance:
Manage workshop preparation inclusive of travels, procurement and participants.
Support the Project Manager on the delivery of assigned work packages.
Prepare and maintain project files, including internal and external project reports.
Manage information ows and oversee change controls, risk registers and issue management by establishing document control procedures.
Advise the Project Manager of any deviations from the plan and update plans. Work with the Project Manager to identify and manage risks.
Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP system (OneUNOPS) and OneUNOPS Projects – as appropriate.
Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work- plan.
Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
Support the Project Manager by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
Alert the Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures. Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary. Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary
Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents, ensure compliance with contractual obligations and UNOPS policies, processes and procedures
Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents.
Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project ManagerSupport the Project Manager in maintaining the following:
i. Electronic Blue File
ii. Procurement, HR and Finance les as required by UNOPS policies
Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission
Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Support the compilation of lessons learned as per de ned reporting format.Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Tracking of project-plan metrics that include performance indicators on management of project team, project budget, project activities duration and project deliverables quality.
Tracking of project issues and implementation of corrective actions.
Tracking of project risks and implementation of risks mitigations plan.
Managing quality of service as agreed with partners.
Preparing timely project-related reports, including project highlight report, project plan progress report, project issues report, project risks report and project quality management report.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree) preferably in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Finance, or other relevant discipline.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree) in any of the above mentioned areas will be considered an asset.
Minimum 2 years of professional experience in project support and reporting is essential.
Fluency in English(write, read, talk) is required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) Retainer - A retainer contract is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor are required intermittently. The individual contractor agreement on retainer basis will specify a “unit price” per day worked. For budgetary purposes, a monetary cap will be determined when the contract is awarded and issued. Please note that the retainer contract will not provide for a minimum, and payment will be made only after completion of work
- Contract level: I-ICA 1,ICS 8
- Contract duration: Short-term ICA (at least 3 weeks) with possibility of extension, subject to satisfactory performance, availability of funds and necessity of services.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and it is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or disability.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management, and human resources.
Working with us
We are proud of our people. With a wealth of knowledge and skills in various disciplines – engineering, finance, human resources, ICT, leadership, project management, procurement, and more – they help tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. Their work around the world supports progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At UNOPS, we offer a range of short- and long-term opportunities in various environments and duty stations – from Denmark and Kenya to Mexico, Switzerland, Myanmar, Senegal, Uganda, and many more.
With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to maintain our gender-balanced workplace. We encourage qualified underrepresented groups as per UNOPS Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy to apply for our vacancies.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Sustainable Development Cluster
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.