Project Manager (NPSA-10)
The incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of the Strengthening the Police Training Capacities in the Republic of Moldova Project, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, as follows:
Ensuring effective content and operational management of the Project:
- Oversee day-to-day operations and implementation of project activities.
- Exercise close monitoring of project activities and produce monitoring reports.
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products, as per the Project Document, leading to the achievement of expected results.
- Develop Work Plan, periodic narrative progress and final reports and expenditures status reports and submit to the supervisor.
- Ensure the implementation of the activities under the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as the overall management of the Project in line with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures.
- Support UNDP CO in effectively managing human resources pertaining to the Project, including staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals.
- Support the efficient management of the Project financial resources, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting.
- Continuously record and maintain Project issues and risks and suggest mitigation measures.
- Maintain a close collaboration with other related UNDP programmes to ensure synergies and complementarities.
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the programme activities to the mass media and stakeholders and support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local, national, and as required at international levels.
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation and evaluation of the Project as required.
Knowledge Management and Sharing:
- Assist in coordinating the exchange of information internally and between relevant project stakeholders.
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the programme implementation process and products produced in accordance with the UNDP guides.
- Capture and disseminate good practices locally, nationally and as required internationally.
- Provide required substantive and administrative support in organizing / conducting variety of programme activities and events.
The Project Manager is also tasked to support the process of portfolio development of the Effective Governance Cluster / UNDP Moldova linked to the scope of the project he/she is managing. This will include identifying emerging issues for programmatic and policy work of UNDP Moldova based on solid understanding of national and Government priorities and needs.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management Competencies:
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Effective Decision Making:
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
- Master’s degree in international relations, political science, law, public administration or related areas.
- Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of qualifying experience can be taken into consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Minimum 5 years (with Master’s degree) or 7 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of project-based activities, preferably related to democratic governance, strategic advice, justice or home affairs.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in managing a multidisciplinary team or coordination between different teams.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor or development organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Prior experience with UNDP Project management and/or implementation
- Fluency in English and Romanian (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Russian, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
- Additional training or certification in project management would be an advantage.
The Project Manager will work under the guidance and direct supervision of Effective Governance Programme Analyst and in close coordination with the UNDP Effective Governance Cluster Lead (Programme Specialist) and will ensure the provision of development services and products commensurate with the scope of the Project and assigned area of responsibility of the highest quality and standards to national and local counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Steering Committee for the Project’s results.
The Project Manager will work in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other teams in the UNDP Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. He/she also collaborates with other UN projects and other development partners in supporting the Ministry of Internal Affairs and ‘Stefan cel Mare’ Academy and other national stakeholders. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager in close collaboration with the Programme Analyst and the Programme Specialist supports UNDP Country Office in developing concept notes and project documents from the field of the project he/she manages to further develop the programme portfolio of Effective Governance Cluster.
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.