Field Operations Technician (G-5)
|Division:||On-Site Inspection Division|
|Section:||Equipment and Implementation Section|
|Unit:||Field Operations Support Unit|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||07/11/2022|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Field Operations Support Unit within the Equipment and Implementation Section, On-Site Inspection Division (OSI). OSI Division develops operational capabilities to undertake inspections in line with the provisions of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT). After the Treaty enters into force, an on-site inspection is launched to establish whether or not a nuclear explosion has been carriedout. During such an inspection, facts might also be gathered to identify a possible violator of the Treaty. It thus constitutes the final verification measure under the CTBT.
The Field Operations Technician will be based at the CTBTO Technology, Support and Training Centre (TeST) in Seibersdorf, Austria, with occasional work at CTBTO Headquarters in Vienna, Austria and potential travel to off-site training, field tests, exercises and other activities as assigned.
Under the supervision of the Head, Field Operations Support Unit, to:
Duties and Responsibilties
1. Assist in the development and implementation of the On-Site Inspection (OSI) deployment and operations support concepts covering launch, conduct and recovery of an OSI, ensuring that operations support activities are fully integrated to maximize efficiency.
2. Assist in the implementation of operational preparedness of the operations support equipment, with a focus on the storage, security, protection, maintenance and readiness of OSI equipment. This includes support in the handling and maintenance of the Equipment Storage and Maintenance Facility (ESMF) in the Technology Support and Training Centre (TeST) and related infrastructure.
3. Assist in testing and execution of OSI deployment and operations support concepts especially in the areas of preparedness and rapid deployment, including in-field sustainability, physical security and protection of inspection team members and equipment, and risk management.
4. Assist in the preparation of planned and short notice requests for equipment for OSI events and missions, ensuring proper packaging, security, transportation, and insurance together with the required logistical needs of the equipment.
5. Participate, as requested, in training, tests and outdoor operational field activities and exercises organised by the OSI Division at the Technology Support and Training Centre, Headquarters or in the field which could be in remote areas, at short notice, and if necessary, for lengthy periods.
6. Provide support for OSI equipment development, testing and training, ensuring the availability of required equipment.
7. Assist in On-Site Inspection (OSI) equipment handling, maintenance, servicing and testing schedules in accordance with CTBTO procedures for certification and ensure that the scheduled programme for items stored within the facility and those recovered from missions is adhered to.
8. Assist in cleaning and reconditioning of equipment as required.
9. Transport equipment and personnel between facilities and other locations as required.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completed secondary education.
- Education or training beyond high school as certified electrician or diesel-electrician, in a field of machinery, logistics, or other field relevant to the work is highly desirable.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least five (5) years relevant working experience in warehousing, maintenance and handling of technical instruments, preferably power generators, field heating/cooling equipment and shelter systems;
- Experience in supporting deployed operations and field activities is highly desirable;
- Experience in working under tight schedule and harsh (field) conditions is an asset;
- Valid driving license category B is essential; category C is highly desirable;
- Valid forklift truck license and experience in operating a forklift truck is desirable;
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications is required;
- Ability to learn basic software in use in the CTBTO.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- This position is for local recruitment only. Only candidates holding a valid residence and work permit in Austria will be considered eligible.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: