Youth and Education Intern
Salt Lake City
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Youth and Education Intern will support the Youth and Education Specialist and the rest of the Education team in enrolling new refugee students in school by providing training to families and completing school enrollment paperwork. The intern will also provide logistical support to help students learn how to get to school such as walking and bus orientations on the first day of school. The intern will support other youth program services as needed.
• Make phone calls and conduct home visits to newly arrived families for education intake appointments
• Gather clients’ documents and complete school enrollment applications for refugee students
• Teach students how to walk or take the bus to school and coordinate logistics with Education team
• Build positive relationships with refugee youth and create fun and supportive environment
• Organize and put together school backpacks with school supplies for new students
• Assist with client transportation needs to appointments
• Other related duties as assigned including monthly office support & reception coverage