Health Access Intern
Salt Lake City
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The Health Access Program facilitates access to health care for newly resettled refugees while supporting client acute and long-term health needs.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK:
With oversight from the Health Access Program Coordinator, the Health Access Intern will provide direct support to the program. They will assist with responding to client health needs, care coordination efforts as well as the development of the Health Access Program by creating partnerships with service provides within the local community.
- 10 hours per week at a minimum.
- Start Date: January 16th, 2023.
· Schedule and coordinate medical and health appointments for clients
· Assist clients in ensuring medical bills have been billed to Medicaid
· Teach clients how to use Google Maps so that they are able to access clinics and pharmacies via public transportation
· Assist with conducting Health Intakes with new arrivals
· Provide transportation to/from medical appointments for clients
· Assist Clients with medication re-fills as needed and LTBI medication pick ups
· Support the development of partnerships with local medical transport companies and clinics
· Support overall functioning of Health Program, projects and initiatives
1. The intern will gain professional experience in medical case management and care coordination efforts.
2. The intern will deepen understanding of the refugee resettlement process, refugee health topics, the social determinants of health and the public health significance.
3. The intern will gain experience with navigating the U.S. Health Care System and the Medicaid Health Insurance System.
4. The intern will gain direct experience with working with people from different background than their own and will develop advocacy skills.