Planning and Compliance Manager
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Planning and Compliance Manager
Are you a Resource Management professional interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organization investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian organization, saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. For its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020.
This position is part of the Innovation and Knowledge Management division’s corporate team, based in our headquarters in Rome, Italy. Reporting to the Deputy Director, INK, the incumbent of the position will coordinate the successful implementation of a comprehensive workplan across the division in a consistent and coordinated manner by ensuring resources are linked with outcomes.
You will provide strategic, managerial and operational support to the Innovation and Knowledge Management division in the achievement of results, work closely with team focal points to ensure projects and programmes are effectively and efficiently implemented and support/lead multiple initiatives to improve planning, financial and administrative processes.
You will also advise and make recommendations
- to establish effective risk assessment and risk management activities;
- ensure the application of controls and compliance with policies and procedures;
- contribute to the overall effectiveness and optimization of INK resources through regular tracking and continuous improvement practices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Drive the development and monitoring of a holistic yearly work plan for INK by ensuring resources are linked with outcomes while driving and coordinating the planning activity between Branches.
- Monitor and analyse financial and accounting data, identifying and forecasting trends, anomalies or issues, and proposing solutions to management with regards to: status of budgets, availability of funds, programme effectiveness and financial viability.
- In collaboration with INK Management, provide inputs for the creation of the 2023 Annual Budget Plan and refine the previous exercise- lead sessions with branch focal points, define clear activities and KPIs.
- Coordinate the development of systems and tools that ensure effective performance reporting in line with WFP and UN policies and practices (serve as focal point for corporate reporting). Identify gaps and challenges in existing reporting systems, gather information, generate strategies and devise effective solutions to be implemented.
- Ensure that sound Standard Operating Procedures and processes are established and maintained, including maintenance of files on the INK sharepoint and facilitating transparency and knowledge-sharing across the Division;
- Ensure risk management is embedded in planning and decision making through leading the development and monitoring of key risk metrics and indicators, regular updates of risk registers, and progress on the implementation of risk mitigation actions.
- Coordinate all INK teams and deal with Enterprise Risk Management Division (ERM) to ensure the Risk Registers are continuously reviewed, updated and communicated to the respective stakeholders.
- Oversee INK support staff to optimize business operations in the Division (e.g. procurement orders, travel management, asset management, space management) and create opportunities of efficiency, cost-effectiveness and improvement of timeliness of operations and services.
- Promote an atmosphere of cooperation and collaboration.
- Other duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in economics, business administration, project management or related field or First University degree with additional years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant post-graduate professional experience in the following fields of work: programme/project management, planning and inventory management, risk management and strategic advisory support or oversight to senior management.
- Experience in analyzing and translating user requirements into new business processes and applications.
- Ability to operate in distributed/decentralized teams, and engage with and support partners.
- Ability to perform under pressure, to multi-task, to navigate through multiple priorities and conflicting requests.
- Ability to work independently through appropriate personal initiative and regular follow-ups.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence and adapt communication styles to different situations and individuals.
- Collaborative hands-on team member and relationship- builder with a facilitative nature and strong business partnering skills towards colleagues and stakeholders.
- Positive and resilient, passionate about change and driven to exceeding client’s expectations through exceptional delivery.
- Ability to provide guidance to staff to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Advanced technical knowledge in monitoring and data analysis through professional work experiences.
- Excellent ability in implementing monitoring activities, data gathering and analysis.
- Understanding of the technologies available in the market.
- Outstanding communicator, verbal and written. Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, project and time management skills, with the ability to coordinate and track multiple projects simultaneously and able to work under pressure.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Results focus and detail-oriented.
- Effectiveness orientation and proactivity.
- Strong sense of responsibility, confidentiality and accountability.
- Interpersonal Relations and behavioral flexibility.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language is desirable: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP working language)
LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity: Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards.
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments: Delegates responsibly and provides appropriate support empowering others to deliver results.
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative: Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback.
Applies Strategic Thinking: Implements decisions, considering the risks and implications of actions for teams, projects and other initiatives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships: Initiates and builds partnerships by identifying and promoting opportunities for mutual areas of interest and benefit.
Deadline for application: 27 November 2022
Ref.: VA No. 178181
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.