Digital Access Intern
Salt Lake City
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The Digital Inclusion Program operates within the IRC SLC’s Education Program and supports digital skill development for newly arrived Refugees and New Americans. The program provides clients with access to technology and cultivates a set of fundamental tech skills that are pertinent to living in Salt Lake City. This includes providing affordable home internet access, tech mentorships, and core resettlement services with integrated digital skills.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK:
With oversight from the Digital Inclusion Specialist, the Digital Access Intern will conduct digital skills assessments, assist with internet service enrollments, provide basic training on computer and smartphone use, and ongoing technical support for refugee clients. Digital connectivity is a critical issue for newly arrived clients and technological barriers prevent access to IRC services, such as online health, job readiness, and English Language Learning platforms. The Digital Access Intern will provide follow-up tech support to assist the client’s participation in IRC SLC’s virtual programs. In addition to providing basic tech support, the Digital Access Intern will help keep an inventory of donated digital devices for distribution.
4-5 months starting on January 16th, 2023, 20-35 hours per week
• Support tech squad volunteers, who will provide basic digital literacy and tech support to clients
• Conduct DI intakes and administer digital skills assessments for new arrivals
• Provide ongoing technical support to clients by troubleshooting problems remotely or in person, with an interpreter when necessary
• Assist computer distribution and device troubleshooting in refugee homes and at Cultural Orientation
• Enroll clients in Comcast Internet Essentials service
• Provide virtual support for clients via Zoom or other online meeting platforms
• Other duties as assigned (front desk coverage, office support, etc.)
1. The intern will gain professional experience in digital literacy programming, including best practices and approaches for implementing digital education
2. The intern will deepen understanding of program design, data tracking, and evaluation
3. The intern will gain experience with cross-cultural communication and strength-based approach service delivery