Scientist II - Soil Sciences
Asia and the Pacific: India
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
This position will be based in Varanasi, India and is open for international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
Working under the direct supervision of the Director ISARC, and the leader of the subunit ‘Climate-adapted agronomy’ of SIRS, this position will
- Develop novel, sustainable and climate-smart (mitigation or adaptation) soil management practices and farming systems in rice- based, rainfed and irrigated rice ecologies. This involves the development of strategies and framework for regenerative agriculture (improving soil health) and low carbon farming
- Develop dissemination, scaling and partnership approaches, for above-mentioned practices, solutions, and systems that will lead to impact ‘at scale’, such as improved resilience to climate change and climatic shocks, improved soil health, improved food security, and reduced poverty
- Develop and lead a strong R4D team on climate resilient soil health management that will execute a well-defined, effective, and efficient R&D program
- Mobilize resources to support the above-mentioned R4D program
- Provide technical support for soil laboratory modernization and development of dry-chemistry based spectroscopy soil analysis
- Lead digital soil mapping and ground validation for innovative site-specific soil health management
- Lead emerging analytical methods including machine learning and data driven soil health management methods
- Contribute to developing strategic partnerships, knowledge sharing, and capacity development of various stakeholders
- Engage with diverse set of public and private sector partners, and research institutes for innovation spatial soil health management
- Contribute to development and dissemination of sustainable soil and crop management practices for various projects associated with ISARC including for APART, CSISA, DSR-Odisha and EiA in South Asia
- Contribute to the organization of important meetings, events at ISARC, monitoring/ execution of activities and report preparations for ISARC phase 2 and associated projects
- Communicate key messages and project progress with donors, policymakers, and other primary stakeholders
- Coordinate closely with project partners and build a relationship with other stakeholders to ensure research outputs are transferred effectively
- Supervise, and mentor junior staff
- Demonstrate scientific leadership through publications and representing IRRI in scientific and strategy forums
- World-class R4D agenda on development and delivery of sustainable soil management practices and regenerative farming systems in rice-based ecologies in South Asia
- Effective scaling approaches, business models, and partnerships with public and private sector parties, including leading R&D entities (ARIs) in the region
- Articles in peer-reviewed journals, proceedings, technical manuals, and training materials that highlight findings from research activities, showcasing the incumbent’s scientific leadership
- An effective resource mobilization strategy and a well-funded portfolio of R4D projects
- A well-functioning and effective R4D team based on principles of mutual trust and respect for gender and inclusion
- PhD in soil science, agronomy, climate change, environmental sciences, or related fields of natural resource management with at least 5+ years post-PhD research experience
- Strong background in field-oriented research and extension activities
- Have a mix of practical field skills, quantitative abilities
- Appreciation of interdisciplinary work, and a core commitment to achieving science-led agricultural development
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience with rice; work experience in a developing country environment
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: