Digital Officer (NPSA-9)
- Digitally enabled programming: Amplify development outcomes by embedding digital across all UNDP programing;
- Empowering digital ecosystems: Support societies in their efforts to create more inclusive and resilient digital ecosystems;
- Digitally Native UNDP: Transform UNDP so that it has fit-for-purpose digital systems, processes, tools, and data, as well as a digitally competent workforce to effectively support the first two objectives.
Based on its long-standing support to digitalization in Montenegro, UNDP supports digital transformation in the social, economic and governance spheres. UNDP aims to expand digital capacities and facilitate the co-creation, with partners, of solutions with strong accountability frameworks. In turn, this is expected to deliver people-centered, effective and safe services to citizens, accelerate the green and digital transition, and enable an inclusive digital transformation and drive reform efforts within sectors.
National Digital Officer will ensure consistent quality standards in design and implementation of digital solutions across whole of the UNDP Montenegro program portfolio. To this end, s/he will support the programme and project teams with effective design, technical specifications and implementation of digital solution to ensure result delivery in thematic areas. Digital Officer will work closely with relevant national partners, UNDP Team Leaders, Program and Project Managers and Operations Team to ensure quality of digital interventions. S/he will also support development of digital capacities of UNDP project staff as well as external partner institutions and contribute to shaping of inclusive national digital ecosystems.
- Provide quality assurance over existing and future digital solutions and interventions across whole of the UNDP Montenegro program portfolio and thematic areas of support;
- Support UNDP programme and project teams in identifying digital solutions suitable to achieve overall program objective through co-creation and by using industry best practice methods and design principles;
- Advise partners, management and programme colleagues to better understand risks and opportunities related to digital technologies in development, societal digital transformation, and inclusive digital ecosystems;
- As applicable, enhance the integration of digital in UNDP’s programming documents, provide advice on digital development outcomes and the integration of digital in other thematic development outcomes;
- Support management and programme colleagues to effectively communicate digital aspects in the dialogue with UNDP partners;
- Advise on digital policies and programmes in key external settings, bringing to the table relevant knowledge and expertise.
Support implementation of portfolio of digital solutions in UNDP programme units while responding to different needs of men and women, and monitor progress and results:
- Support managing technology partners/vendors and advise UNDP program units on planning, recruiting and managing technology service providers;
- Facilitate understanding of national partners and UNDP program teams of key digital solution design requirements and estimate complexity and timelines to advise on implementation approaches;
- Support implementation of portfolio of digital solutions in UNDP programme units and monitor progress and results;
- Review from a quality perspective digital outputs/products/deliverables in the UNDP program units;
- Make suggestions to improve performance of UNDP Montenegro digital portfolio, and identify synergies in the digital solution portfolio among various thematic sectors;
- Continuously scan the market for relevant digital solutions, in any thematic area, and exchange knowledge and experience with other UNDP digital experts;
- Liaise with UNDP Chief Digital Officer to capture progress of digital indicators at the unit level.
Conduct digital capacity building, internally and externally:
- As required by the UNDP program and project managers, share knowledge and/or train staff on design and delivery of digital capacity building activities towards partners;
- Closely work with the Digital Advocate(s) and other digital roles across UNDP to design and deliver capacity building initiatives targeted at UNDP internal audiences;
- Proactively explore and identify opportunities to share digital ideas and solutions from the UNDP Montenegro to contribute to the development knowledge networks within and outside UNDP;
- Capture and prepare digital practices and make them available to a wider audience inside or outside UNDP.
Support digital through advising on improvements of national digital ecosystem and its governance:
- Conduct or contribute to context analyses and deep-dive thematic research to provide disaggregated data-driven insights;
- When needed, manage or support conduction of analyses to identify the state of the inclusive digital ecosystem in the country;
- Upon request, identify gaps in the national digital ecosystem and propose options for improvements in terms of effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability of the ecosystem;
- Upon request, coordinate the preparation of information materials – including success stories with gender dimension mainstreamed, for dissemination within UNDP globally and regionally, and to external stakeholders;
- Proactively explore and identify opportunities to share digital ideas and solutions from the unit to contribute to the development of inclusive knowledge networks within and outside UNDP;
- Collaborate with communications and gender team to ensure UNDP’s thought leadership in digital is recognized, including co-producing content for online and offline media, coordinating and convening relevant industry events, etc.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context and responsive to a stated need.
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customer needs; Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Digital ecosystems: Knowledge of how they work, understanding the opportunities and challenges for governments and society.
Master’s degree or equivalent in software engineering, computer science, information management, statistics, or a related field.
Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master’s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant professional experience in the field of digital systems and solutions development in private or public sector; Experience in digital product management and IT project management.
- Proven knowledge of system architecture and experience in software/hardware/information system solution integration.
- Sound understanding of business and data analytics, design, data governance, integration and management.
- Experience in managing teams and complex projects/processes that include extensive communication, coordination and facilitation with public and private sector partners;
- Experience in digital field in multilateral public sector context;
- Excellent understanding of digital in a development context and digital inclusion;
- Overview of technology trends in the field of development, as well as digital inclusion;
- Product management experience for digital technology products.
- Business Development – Collective Intelligence Design: Ability to bring together diverse groups of people, data, information and ideas, and technology to design services or solutions. Ability to bring together diverse groups of people, data, information and ideas, and technology to design services or solutions.
- Digital & Innovation-Digital inclusion: Knowledge of how digital inclusion works, opportunities and challenges for governments and society.
- Digital & Innovation - Digital business analysis: Ability to support digital business processes across a range of digital projects, programmes and activities.
- Digital & Innovation - Digital product design: Ability to design digital products which are user-centered, intuitive, functional and achieve desired outcomes.
- Digital & Innovation - Digital product management: Ability to design and lead digital product development including testing, ongoing product iteration, product strategy and delivery.
- Digital & Innovation - Digital transformation design: Practical and strategic skills in digital transformation for governments and organisations.
- Digital & Innovation - Digital public goods: Knowledge of how it works, understanding of the opportunities and challenges for governments and society
- Digital & Innovation - Programming, Web and App Development: Ability to build websites, platforms and apps that are effective and intuitive to use.
- Fluency in English and Montenegrin (written and spoken).
- Any of the following certification would be an asset: Certified Data Professional (CDP), Certified in Risk and Information System Control (CRISC), CompTIA (A+, Cloud+, Security+), ITIL 4 or similar.
Digital Officer reports to Assistant Resident Representative. S/he works in close collaboration with national partners (public and private), other members of the programme team, the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs global and regional staff, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, civil society and private sector ensuring successful deployment of digital solutions within UNDP interventions.
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.