National Specialist on Fishery/Aquaculture
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist Governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The National Specialist on Fishery/Aquaculture will work under the overall supervision of FAO Representative (FAOR) in Tajikistan, under the technical guidance of Project Lead Technical Officers, the guidance of the Senior Fishery and Aquaculture Officer, operational support from FAO Representation in Tajikistan and in close cooperation with the national authorities as well as International and National consultants.
The National Specialist on Fishery/Aquaculture will be responsible to implement, facilitate and monitor the implementation of project activities related to Fishery and Aquaculture section development.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist the respective International Expert in obtaining necessary information, data and documents to inform the preparation and finalization of assessments, surveys, questionnaires, statistic data and etc.;
• Assist the respective International Expert in preparation of the project concept notes, project proposals and other related documents for further finance consideration to potential donors;
• Assist the respective International Expert in preparation of training materials, modules, handouts, presentations, manuals, books and other publications;
• Assist the respective International Expert in preparation of specifications for equipment and needed services;
• Contribute in review of the survey results, external publications and national and FAO data;
• Conduct review of existing fish feed practices, fishery farms, incubators, and laboratory facilities and provide recommendations on establishing a demonstration sites;
• Arrange a training for fish farmers together with the respective International Expert;
• Contribute and participate in all local meetings (including the inception and terminal workshop of the project, trainings and other project activities);
• Liaise with the MoA, local authorities and with all contracting organizations;
• Be responsible for ensuring timely documentation preceding and following all tasks;
• In coordination with the Project Coordinator appointed by the Government, be responsible for alerting all concerned project participants of upcoming meetings, training and other project activities;
• Contribute in the preparation of the progress reports related to the fishery component;
• Assist in the distribution of fishery inputs and serve as resource person during the conduct of training programs;
• Provide technical mentoring to partner organizations in the implementation of fisheries-based livelihood projects and contribute in the preparation of the monitoring framework and tools of the fishery projects;
• Prepare End of Assignment Report upon completion of the contract;
• Carry out any other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as may be requested by the FAO Representative.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree and preferably Masters or PhD level in fishery/aquaculture, livestock production or other relevant field;
• At least five (5) years of professional and/or solid institutional experience in livestock production and etc;
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Tajik. Knowledge of Russian is advantage.
• National or Resident of Tajikistan.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Computer literacy with spread sheets, databases and electronic programmes is required;
• Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
• Proven ability to work as an effective team leader.
• Publications on issues related to fishery/aquaculture, animal health, food safety in the internationally recognized journals would be considered as asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: