Org. Setting and Reporting
The Air Navigation Bureau (ANB) is responsible for providing technical guidance to the Air Navigation Commission (ANC), the Council, and the Assembly. ANB provides technical expertise in aviation-related disciplines to States, industry and all elements of the Organization. The Bureau is also responsible for maintaining and implementing the Global Aviation Safety Plan (GASP) and Global Air Navigation Plan (GANP), including its aviation system block upgrades as well as producing yearly safety and air navigation status reports. The Bureau develops technical studies and proposals for Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), and Procedures for Air Navigation Services (PANS) for further processing by the governing bodies of ICAO. The Bureau also develops related procedures and guidance material. The Bureau also manages the Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP) and Continuous Monitoring Approach that monitors all States on a continuous basis.
The Airspace Management and Optimization (AMO) Section of the ANB is responsible for the development of SARPs, PANS and guidance material supporting optimized airspace organization and management, thereby maximizing air traffic management performance of airspace and international traffic flows and supporting the growth of air traffic without compromising safety.
The incumbent directly reports to the Chief, Airspace Management and Optimization (C/AMO) and will provide efficient administrative support to carry out the Section’s multidisciplinary work programmes.
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative and technical support to the planning and implementation of AMO work programmes, achieving results such as:
• Assist in the preparation of the triennial budget in relation to work programmes.
• Assist in the review, update and amendment of AMO work programmes.
• Liaise with parties concerned on the production of briefings and analysis under AMO responsibilities.
• Maintain the AMO website, ensuring the information thereon is up to date.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Assists in the quality management of working documents , achieving results such as:
• Assist in reviewing and finalizing Council/Commission working papers, reports, briefing notes, power point presentations, etc. on subjects related to AMO activities. Proofread documents for completeness, accuracy and grammar.
• Ensure accuracy, completeness and conformity with established procedures.
• Assist in the preparation of technical manuals and other documents before submitting them to the Editorial Unit (EDL).
• Liaise with staff across bureau and with other bureaus for the editing, translation and posting on the ICAO-NET of documents, including the Annexes and manuals, etc.
• Assemble/collate and proofread relevant input for ICAO publications, such as the Annual Council report and the ICAO Safety Report as well as external publications concerning AMO activities and disciplines for review by C/AMO, and liaise with parties concerned
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative/technical support to the expert groups (panels and study groups, etc.) of AMO, achieving results such as:
• Assist Secretaries of panels and other expert groups in maintaining the websites of expert groups, including updating relevant information and uploading working papers, etc.
• Assist in editing and formatting incoming discussion and information papers from expert group members and advisers, in accordance with ICAO criteria.
• Draft letters, memoranda, reports and various correspondence from verbal instructions or handwritten drafts in accordance with ICAO practices and procedures.
• Assist in the conduct of expert group meetings, providing services such as collecting, preparing and distributing documentation.
• Verify accuracy of material leaving the Section. Proofread and review for correctness and format correspondence documentation and other written materials in conformity with established standards and procedures.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Contributes to the management, assignment and monitoring of tasks related to the delivery of the AMO-work programme, as well as their timely completion and provides administrative support for pre-meeting/event and workshop preparations, achieving results such as:
• Provide administrative support to C/AMO and respective Technical Officers and Technical Clerk by tracking and raising alerts when necessary on task progress and taking necessary follow up action to respect deadlines.
• Liaise with ANB Events Organizer on AMO related events, such as conferences, workshops and symposia.
• Assist in the preparation of conferences/workshops/symposia in coordination with the C/AMO and Technical Officers.
• Assist with the management of the meeting/event website.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative support for pre-meeting/event preparations, achieving results such as:
• Liaise with ANB Events Organizer and Regional Officers on related events, such as pre-registration for conferences/workshops/symposia and collection of credentials, as required.
• Provide assistance with pre-meeting preparations in collaboration with C/AMO, Technical Officers and other ANB administrative support staff, when necessary.
• Assist with the management of the meeting/event websites.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
• High school diploma or equivalent level of education.
• Completion of courses in office automation and/or computer courses in Microsoft Word, Excel , SharePoint and PowerPoint and other contemporary software.
• A minimum of four years’ experience in office administrative procedures and practices, is required.
• Experience in the use of office automation techniques and contemporary software, particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint, is required.
• Experience in website design, and other advanced software application, such as Photoshop Illustrator, Corel Draw, Acrobat and graphic design skills, is desirable.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
• Knowledge of any other languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Please note that this is a locally-recruited position and restricted to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada and applicants with a valid work permit.
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of three years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization within the duty station.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. The Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service adopted by ICAO, which are applicable to all staff members, are defined in the ICAO Service Code (Staff Regulations).
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Net Base Salary per annum: CAD $39,611
United Nations Considerations
In accordance with ICAO Staff Regulations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible and ensuring equal gender representation. Subject to the foregoing, selection of staff members shall be made without distinction as to race, sex or religion, nor shall there be any discrimination on account of any disability of a candidate who meets the qualifications required to perform the tasks. Unless otherwise permitted under the ICAO Staff Regulations, appointment and promotion of staff members shall be made on a competitive basis.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ICAO if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: