G5 Finance Business Assistant (for Malaysian National only)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the global development network of the United Nations system that is on the ground in over 140 countries, with its Headquarters in New York, USA. The Bureau for Management Services (BMS) is a central Bureau tasked with the development of corporate strategies, policies, tools and systems in key cross-cutting management areas. Drawing on sound analytics and a risk-management approach, BMS supports the achievement of development results through management advice, innovative business solutions, and other corporate services in line with international best practices and evolving needs and expectations of development partners. BMS also ensures policy adherence in operations management within UN Rules & Regulations, safeguarding UNDP’s accountability vis-à-vis Member States and other stakeholders.
The Office of Financial Management (OFM) performs a pivotal role within BMS and within UNDP’s global finance function, partnering with Bureau and Country Offices. The primary role of OFM is to maintain the financial integrity of UNDP through providing financial leadership, supporting the efficient and effective management of its financial resources, promoting financial sustainability and responsible resource allocation in the context of a fluctuating funding environment. This is accomplished by the development and implementation of sound financial policies and practices, oversight of corporate financial management performance, and flexible scalable support to resource allocation. OFM is a key source of information for the Executive Board, General Assembly, to Partners and wider civil society. It supports transparency through the provision of on time and quality statutory and other financial reports that comply with international standards and regulatory guidelines.
OFM ensures effective and efficient integrated resources management through a continuous and robust process comprising:
Formulation and implementation of corporate financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures;
Formulation, alignment, documentation and implementation of UNDP’s funding frameworks, assuring their integrity, viability and alignment with the Strategic Plan;
Provision of policy guidance, advisory services and operational support to strengthen client capacities and help them achieve results, seeking to build consensus within UNDP and with key stakeholders on critical budgetary related matters requiring Executive Board legislation;
Administration of the organization’s internal control framework, overseeing and monitoring financial management of all global UNDP offices, including through formulation/implementation of resource planning, management and oversight tools and reports;
Promoting clear accountability for financial transactions and producing financial statements, including financial reporting to donors and the UNDP Executive Board.
The Analytics team co-located with UNDP’s Global Shared Service Center (GSSC) undertake data mining/extraction and help generate financial and budgetary insights and drive consistent delivery of concise actionable analysis, to enable informed decision making and improve financial performance, whilst ensuring that the resultant reports present a consistent and accurate view. Within this team, this role involves the formulation of business units’ reports, through data extraction, standard reports and queries, and ad-hoc analysis. The role will also provide some support to the refinement of functional specifications for ERP and BI system changes.
Duties and Responsibilities
FUNCTIONS / KEY RESULTS EXPECTED
Summary of Key Functions
Reporting to the Financial Business Analyst, the Finance Business Associate will provide financial analysis services to the business areas of finance and IT, for report development purposes.
- Perform extracts, build reports and dashboards on time and respecting guidance. Perform appropriate checks as stipulated, and record results clearly.
- Assist the Analytics Lead in developing the work plan and timelines to facilitate timely delivery to clients.
- Identify and report discrepancies to the OFM user community and recommend possible solutions to resolve data discrepancies.
- Assist in the development of financial systems functional specifications identified by OFM users and undertakes appropriate user tests in consultation with ITM.
- Support business units refining their business requirements, including through formal interviews or facilitated sessions.
- Communicate with various business units, participate in requirement gathering to understand stakeholders’ needs and translate into technical solutions.
- Participate in design, development and maintenance of reports using data analytic tools such as MS PowerBI and Oracle BI Publisher, create visually appealing analytics dashboard.
- Produce necessary Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and documentations on reports development process.
- Assist in data migration, review and validate mapped and loaded data from legacy system to Oracle Fusion Cloud ERP; ensuring high data quality and accuracy. Assist in post-migration data and reports validation to identify any discrepancy.
- Transform raw data into useful financial information, execute ad-hoc queries and data extraction for use of analytics and reporting to support decision makings.
EXPECTED DEMONSTRATION OF COMPETENCIES
- LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
- LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
- LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
- LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL (CF) AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (TC)
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
- Ability to examine and verify accounts and records
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Functional Technical Knowledge:
- Firm understanding of business intelligence tools, and the architecture and design of advanced integrated management systems, preferably including Oracle Cloud ERP.
Digital and Innovation
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Accurately accumulating information and its analysis; forecasting potential problems and planning; allowing for alternative, creative solutions and identifying most reasonable solutions
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with Certification in one or more of the following:
SQL, SQR, OBIEE, or equivalent; complex data extraction routines (especially for candidates with a technical background)
- Undergraduate degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Finance or any related quantitative field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience with Finance or Business Intelligence (BI) environments.
- Experience in managing master data, mapping of source to target data, conducting data quality tests, and creating reports and dashboards in the financial arena a plus.
- Hands-on proficiency with SQL and BI tools such as Power BI, Oracle BI Publisher, and OTBI etc.
- Experience in production of financial reports and data management a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Hands-on experience with ERP, preferably with Oracle Fusion Cloud ERP is desirable.
- Exposure to Oracle EBS and PeopleSoft Enterprise systems will be of added advantage
- Fluency in English is required
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage, particularly Spanish or French
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.