A (least hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
November 29, 2022
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Programme Assistant receives guidance from more senior programme staff and may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Programme Assistant.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements. S/he is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide administrative assistance and support in routine services and activities within Programme.
- Assist in organizing and documenting the selection of partners in accordance with the policy on selection and retention of partners, ensuring due diligence to meet the requirements of projects.
- Provide support to ensure partnership agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures included in the framework for implementing with partners.
- Guided by the MFT approach, contribute to monitoring activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation in line with Programme Manual and programming instructions.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with issuance of audit certificates for partners in line with the Policy on Risk-Based Project Audits
- Use UNHCR¿s corporate tools (e.g. Focus Client, Global Focus Insight and FOCUS Reader, MSRP) for core activities related to planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting, generating data for evidence-based programmatic decisions and analysis.
- Actively contribute to UNHCR¿s programming of community of practice and to the improvement of programming tools and processes.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
G4 - 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
N / A
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Demonstrated experience in programme management, Operation Management Cycle and related processes.
Computer skills (in MS office) including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, data management, etc)
Training relevant to function of the position including Programme Management ¿ Level 1. E-tutoring of PM1, Framework for Implementing with Partners Learning Programme
Experience in programme management training and capacity building activities.
IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
DM-Data Management, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), PG-Programme Analysis, PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards), PG-Results-Based Management
Business Administration - Other, HCR Learning Program - UNHCR, International Law - Other, Social Sciences - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance