Project Manager and Social Protection Specialist - P4
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC/P/2022/04
Publication date: 17 November 2022
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 8 December 2022
Job ID: 10229
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their candidature online by the above date.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ILO implements in Jordan a significant programme of work under a Decent Work Country Programme agreed with the tripartite constituents. This programme is closely aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework and includes cooperation with a range of UN partners. The programme includes a major component related to response to the Syria refugee crisis as well as more regular ILO work in Jordan.
In the area of social protection, the ILO is engaged in providing technical support and policy advice to its constituents in Jordan on several dimensions of the ongoing social protection reforms, including: a) support the implementation of the national Poverty Reduction and Social Protection Strategy, b) support development and implementation of policy and administrative options for the extension of coverage to workers in the informal economy, c) provide legal and actuarial technical support to the Social Security Corporation and other relevant parties in the area of social security reforms and reforms of social insurance mechanisms, including social health insurance, d) promote better integration and coordination mechanism between non-contributory and contributory social protection and active labour market policies and programmes in Jordan, e) promote the inclusion of non-national workers including migrant workers and refugees into national contributory and non-contributory social protection systems, and f) providing capacity building to government and social partners on contributory and non-contributory social protection.
Estidama++ was designed as a new mechanism to foster inclusive social security, address structural imbalances in coverage, and strengthen resilience of female and male vulnerable workers, including refugees and migrants. The project supports SSC’s initiatives to extend coverage to all workers in Jordan, in line with International Social Security and Labour Standards. It builds on SSC's inclusive regulatory framework, based on fundamental principles such as the equality of treatment regardless of nationality or legal status.
The project is a multi-donor pooled funding arrangement with currently contributions from the Governments of the Netherlands and of Norway. A UK Government contribution is currently being negotiated and there is potential for further funding in the coming period.
Reporting: The incumbent will report to the Deputy Regional Director for the Arab States based in Beirut and will receive guidance and backstopping support from the Senior Social Protection Specialist based in the Regional Decent Work Team. For operational and administrative management arrangements in Amman the incumbent will work closely with the ILO Office Coordinator in Amman. The position has a technical reporting line to SOCPRO department in the Headquarters.
Description of Duties
Estidama++ Project management:
- Conduct, plan, develop and coordinate the implementation of the Estidama++ project in Jordan, through timely provision of inputs, timely and efficient delivery of outputs, and planning, control, monitoring and evaluation of the project activities, in conformity with ILO policies and project strategies, and in accordance with ILO programming guidelines and country/action programs, and administrative and financial procedures. Ensure effective management of funds/budget assigned to the project.
- Manage efficiently the human resources of Estidama++ team, including recruitment, performance and talent management aspects. Plan, organize, supervise and monitor the work of officials working under the project and in other projects in the area of social protection in Iraq and Kurdistan.
- Increase the project's visibility and facilitate the scaling-up of the project's interventions.
Description of Duties (Cont'd)
Technical leadership and advice:
- Provide high-level policy advice and advocacy to Government, Workers and Employers organizations, key development partners and other stakeholders on issues of relevance to social protection in Jordan in close cooperation with the Regional Social Protection Specialist,
- Review, analyse and interpret economic, social and political trends in Jordan. Provide inputs related to trends or developments for which further research and programme development work is required to adequately respond to growing and changing needs in the area of Social Protection in Jordan. Provide analysis and recommendations to senior management on technical cooperation activities.
- Promote ILO social security policies in the related technical areas of the project and more generally in Jordan, in-line with the relevant International Labour Standards.
Description of Duties (Cont'd)
Advocacy, networking and partnership:
- In coordination with the Jordan country coordinator, build and manage relationship to cooperate and coordinate with the concerned governments, ministries and the employers' and workers' organizations, non-governmental organizations, UN agencies, and the donor, in the planning and implementation of activities under the project. Ensure effective coordination with a range of relevant national policies and the strategies of various projects, including those being undertaken by other agencies or in complementary fields of activity.
- Represent the ILO in UN and donor social protection-sector coordination platform and fora in the field of social protection, and facilitate coordinated participation of all projects and initiatives in the area of social protection in such platforms/fora as required
- Maintain strong relationships with multi-lateral and bilateral donor community for the formulation and operation of country related technical cooperation programmes in the area of Social Protection. Support the office in the development of other potential projects in in the Social Protection portfolio in Jordan in close cooperation with Regional Social Protection Specialist.
- Facilitate mechanisms for regular exchange and interaction across ILO projects and initiatives in the area of social protection with the objective of ensuring good communication, coordination, coherence and integration across project activities and initiatives. Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the various areas of engagement of the ILO in the area of social protection across all projects and initiatives. Make suggestions to the social protection team, the Regional Specialist, Office Coordinator and Project Managers as required about areas where improved alignment and coordination across initiatives in needed
Description of Duties (Cont'd)
- Ensure effective reporting and dissemination of technical activities covered under the project. Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports on the status of planning and implementation. Request and integrate inputs from across all projects and initiatives in the area of social protection for the purpose of internal and external reporting and other similar exercises.
- Collaborate with the Regional office, DWT and ILO Social Protection Department on development of regional and global reports and analyses in the area of social protection.
- Identify capacity development needs and deliver training workshops and meetings for the tripartite partners, NGOs, other agencies, target groups and staff as appropriate to reinforce the professional capabilities.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Advanced university degree in economics, public administration, management, social science, development studies or a related field (or a university degree plus equivalent expertise) or First-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in economics, public administration, management, social science, development studies or a related field with 9 years of relevant experience.
At least seven years of relevant experience in the management of development cooperation activities, of which at least three years at the international level. This includes field experience in a leadership role for the implementation of projects, preferably in the fields of social security and social protection. At least four years demonstrated expertise in senior positions in the technical field of social security and social protection.
Proven management experience, preferably with the ILO or a UN agency, with sound knowledge and experience in all aspects of project cycle, i.e. design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Proven experience in partnership building and networking and in effective fundraising, resource mobilization and donor relations.
Familiarity with ILO policies and procedures, including experience in managing large and complex development cooperation projects would be an advantage, as would be work experience in the context of the Arab region.
Excellent command of English. Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
Professionalism: Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries and the ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Experience in mentoring staff and in coordinating their work.
Accountability: takes ownership of all responsibilities and commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
Leadership: serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; demonstrate knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Vision: identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks clearly communicates links between the organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
Ability to prioritize work and meet strict deadlines. Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work in a multicultural environment. Gender-sensitive behaviour and attitude. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to negotiate. Ability to take initiatives.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Any extension of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit the ILO Jobs International Recruitment page.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO Jobs. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including technical tests or interviews.
The ILO has zero tolerance for acts of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and is determined to ensure that all staff members and all beneficiaries of ILO assistance do not suffer, directly or indirectly, from sexual exploitation and abuse.
To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organisation, the ILO may conduct a background verification of candidates under consideration.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: