IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO's global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO's response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, general supervision of Head of Programme and under the direct supervision of the Infrastructure Unit Head, the Draftsman will provide Engineering Support in producing technical drawings for infrastructure projects.
Being trained in the computer-aided design and drafting (CAD) processes, draftsman will create various technical drawings based on given specifications and calculations.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Responsible for detailing drawings in CAD by following specifications
• Liaise with other engineers and work towards completion of the projects
• Preparing, reviewing, and redrafting alongside the engineering team.
• Ensuring final designs are compliant with regulations.
• Identifying and communicating potential design problems to the rest of the team.
• Draftsman will be employed in different fields, and work closely with other engineers.
• Support in tender evaluation
• Perform any other duties as may be requested by the supervisor from time to time
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in Civil Engineering Technology, construction, project management or in a relevant engineering discipline is desirable
• Five years of relevant experience as a draftsman
• Working knowledge of English,
• Nationality of Somalia
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good knowledge of general administration, initiative, good judgment, and ability to organize office work and prepare correspondence on own initiative.
• Willingness to work as a team member,
• Ability to plan and execute work with minimal supervision and attention to detail.
• Good ability to use PC, word processors and other technology equipment.
• Good Numerical skills, negotiation skills and representation skills.
• Understanding of the Clearing and forwarding procedures in Puntland.
• Willingness to travel to the field security permitting.
• Good knowledge of the UN work system and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.