IBBS Surveillance Coordinator (NPSA11)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations. The Technical Advisor/IBBS Surveillance Specialist will be expected to work and interact with key populations form the HIV community through Community Based Organizations (CBOs), including transgenders, sex workers, etc. and will be expected to respect their cultures and settings.
- Overall responsible for leading and managing the selected surveillance team, quality assurance team, lab quality assurance team, in addition to engaging with relevant stakeholders (UNDP, UNAIDS, the Ministry of NHSR&C, Departments of Health, Provincial AIDS Control Programs, the GF (including Local Fund Agent), CCM and technical and UN partners) for the 6th round of surveillance planning and implementation activities.
- Assist UNDP, Ministry of NHSR&C in providing guidance on development of protocols for mapping and integrated biological and behavioral surveillance
- Set up mechanisms for collecting essential information, developing databases, analyzing, and disseminating the impact of HIV/AIDS and STI interventions using SGS reports.
- Contribute to the development/adaptation of biological and behavioral surveillance tools, field testing of such tools and the revision of tools and methodologies if required (after field testing)
- Contribute to the training of researchers, NGOs, CBOs and PACP staff on the use of mapping, biological and behavioral surveillance methodologies.
- Contribute to the development of ethical research protocols.
- Assist in the preparation of guidelines for field researchers on biological and behavioral data collection
- Contribute to the identification of risk populations, locations, and sample sizes for surveillance studies to be undertaken during the surveillance round 6.
- Support the selected consortia/firm during pre-mapping exercise including activities such as making zones, team formation, ID cards/support letters for field staff from Provincial AIDS Control Program/police
- Ensure proper implementation of the research methodology by selected consortium/firm during surveillance rounds
- Orient key stakeholders, Departments of Health, Provincial AIDS Control Program staff on 2nd generation surveillance and actively involve them in the activity
- Contribute to the development of an outline for the national and provincial surveillance and summary reports
- Help Ministry of NHSR&C and Provincial AIDS Control Program in streamlining the surveillance activities in the province.
- Give technical support to the entire research /surveillance work of Round 6
- Develop a detailed monitoring plan for IBBS field implementation, with specific details on process of monitoring such as field visits, data collection, sample data verification, interviews, joint field monitoring visits by UNDP team and key stakeholders from the IBBS Task Force for quality assurance of the process, and other applicable tools.
- Develop and oversee/monitor a detailed workplan for all IBBS implementation activities, including data collection, data quality assurance, and lab quality assurance activities.
- Provide oversight of qualitative and quantitative data collection process (behavioural and biological), and quality assurance in the field
- Plan and conduct joint monitoring with the team and key stakeholders from the IBBS Task Force to ensure quality assurance of the process.
- Ensure any challenges are flagged early and reported to UNDP, National & Provincial AIDS control Programmes, and UNAIDS to assist in addressing them.
- Provide oversight on and ensure quality of all IBBS deliverables including inception report, enumerators training report, mapping, survey report, datasets, consensus and validation workshop presentation, and any other deliverable.
- Overseeing, managing and coordinating for the successful implementation of data quality assurance and lab quality assurance activities for the IBBS.
- Any other required task for ensuring successful implementation of the IBBS survey
- Any other duties assigned
Gender and Non-discriminatory behavior:
The incumbent of the position will uphold non-discriminatory behaviour and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”.
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production.
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered.
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created.
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
- HIV, Health and Development: Understanding and practical experience of issues related to HIV, health and development social determinants of health and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize and control resources, procedures and protocols and to achieve specific goals
- Monitoring and Evaluation & Surveillance: Knowledge of methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating, surveillance, and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations.
- Data Management: Ability to set goals and indicators and to interpret and synthesize results into usable information to inform policy, strategy, and/or action.
- Data Analysis and Visualization: Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings- undertake & provide analysis of data to assess org performance and or global trends.
- Partnerships: Ability to engage with other agencies, donors and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relations.
- Capacity Development: Ability to strengthen and maintain the capabilities of individuals, societies, organizations and governments to set and achieve development objectives over time
- Business Management: Risk Management: Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them
- Master's degree in Epidemiology, Public health, or a related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience working on and leading health surveys
- Relevant experience with leading health surveys/research.
- Experience in research and/or surveillance in sexual health (in Pakistan and/or the region) desirable.
- Experience in analyzing the results of epidemiological and/or behavioural studies and in contributing to study reports and publications an asset.
- Experience of working in HIV/AIDS and with key populations is an asset
- Sound understanding of the general principles of disease surveillance.
- Sound understanding of the epidemiology of HIV/AIDS and STIs and their behavioural determinants.
- Good computer skills including familiarity with database programs and statistical programs an asset.
- Work experience with relevant UN organizations would be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral communication and professional writing skills.
- Displayed capacity for similar high-quality work
- Gender: Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work
- Coordination: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Knowledge Management: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Resource Mobilization: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- Proficient in verbal and written English and Urdu
Note: This position is open for Pakistan nationals only
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: