E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Fast Track > Fast Track
November 30, 2022
Senior External Relations Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior External Relations Assistant normally functions under the direct supervision of External Relations Officer or another professional staff depending on staffing structure of the Office. The incumbent assists in the management of external relations activities of the Office. He/she plays a key role in organising the visits of foreign delegations, donors, press and media, providing regular briefings and drafting reports/materials for external partners. He/she may also receive advice and operational support from the External Relations/Public Information Units at the Country Office /HQ.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Draft briefing notes, press releases, bulletins, reports, newsletters and prepare any other public information material, as required
- Facilitate and accompany visits of foreign delegations, partner NGOs, donors and the media to refugee camps
- Draft and translate routine correspondence and texts.
- Assist with developing and implementing UNHCR¿s social media strategy ¿ conceptualize and pitch stories for UNHCR¿s global website.
- Ensure that public information materials including fact sheets, information brochures, briefing materials from the Branch Office, etc. are available.
- Organize visibility events (e.g. World Refugee Day) and liaise with partners, refugees and local communities on implementation.
- May be required to assist in compilation of weekly, monthly, annual/quarterly thematic reports, situations reports etc.
- Review media daily and ensure the office is kept informed of local developments.
- Provide information on UNHCR¿s activities to external partners.
- Respond to non-complex media queries and incoming correspondence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
International Relations, Journalism Political Science
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Previous experience in UN/UNHCR.
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
HQ and Field experience with UNHCR or with other humanitarian organizations
CO-Drafting and Documentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Drafting and Documentation, IT-Computer Literacy, TI-Interpretation
High School (Required)
Communication - Other, International Relations - Other, Journalism - Other, Media - Other, Political Science - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance