Belarus | Russia Federation
The Operation Manager will provide operational management for the Russia & Belarus Operations and will be responsible to coordinate and manage the strategic scale-up of the ongoing operations. The Operation Manager will manage the external relationship with external partners and lead the Russia & Belarus operations and all related activities to ensure that help is received by the most vulnerable people.
Reporting to the Head of Country Cluster office for Russia & Belarus, the Operations Manager (OM) Russia & Belarus provides the technical lead to ensure the optimal coordination and direct management of resources required for the effective and efficient implementation of the Federation-wide emergency operation in Russia & Belarus. The main responsibilities of the OM are related to strategy and priorities definition, management of the overall operation, external coordination, Movement coordination, security management, and ensuring the evolution of Red Cross services to meet the evolving needs of communities, including in its transition to recovery.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Strengthening the local NS to deliver services and to advocate on behalf of vulnerable people
- Lead the operational aspects of the scaling up of operations and ensure timely feedback to the Head of CCD for Russia & Belarus including a robust and coherent monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution, and ensure that humanitarian interventions are responsive to current and emerging needs and threats
- Provide strategic and day-to-day management and oversight of the IFRC operations team. In the short term, this includes fulfilling other duties as may be required due to temporary gaps in the staffing structure. The ultimate task is to lead the operations ensuring that the humanitarian needs are met and that The Federation resources in the country are utilized in an economical and efficient way, with tailor-made approaches to support RRCS & BRCS in the implementation of programs, aimed at delivering services to affected populations
- Negotiate, plan and mobilize IFRC resources in support of the NS in the assessment, planning, and implementation of the emergency response and recovery.
- Be key field support to the NS Headquarters, branches, and field teams in operational sites for the implementation of the IFRC Country Operational Plans, including emergency support to refugees and response to other disasters and crises
- Provide strategic guidance to IFRC technical leads to ensure they work closely with the managers of relevant NS departments in all related programming roles and responsibilities, providing advice and recommendations that carefully consider local capacity and context.
- Work closely with the Senior Management and NSD manager in the NS, IFRC NSD Coordinator for Europe and Head of Delegation in supporting the implementation of the NS Development Plan and in ensuring a collective Movement approach and optimal humanitarian impact
- In collaboration with Comms colleagues, advise RRCS & BRCS Senior Management and Operational Teams on positioning and increased visibility through the use of social media, including press releases, videos, posts, etc. as a key agent in disaster and crisis response.
- Support continuous operational coordination and cooperation with Movement partners in-country, including ICRC and several PNS.
- Support IFRC technical leads to develop programme approaches which strengthen and develop the NS’s structures, capacity and performance; analyze and understand their current strengths and weaknesses and ensure the provision of necessary technical and material support, particularly in relation to the ongoing crisis.
- Promote and assist the integration of humanitarian priorities and interventions within all relevant programming divisions in the NS.
- Ensure that adequate Security frameworks are in place as required by the operation.
- Ensure that the response is based on frameworks and approaches that are consistent with or have considered national/international standards and guidelines, as well as IFRC policies, procedures and tools.
- Assist the NS, Movement and external partners in the achievement of planned outcomes and deliverables following quality standards, in a timely fashion, and within budgets.
- Ensure robust and coherent monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution and ensure that humanitarian interventions are responsive to current and emerging needs and threats.
- Work with the CCD to develop, implement and review contingency planning for identified threats in operational areas, as well as the development of capacities within the NS for emergency response.
- Support the NS in setting up the structure needed to ensure that all components of the response are identified, planned and carried out in a coordinated, collaborative and integrated manner with Movement and external partners.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Support the NS in developing/implementing operational standards, tools and procedures that ensure quality, consistency/sustainability of response interventions. Together with the NS and the Head of CCD, represent IFRC in coordination meetings and forums, involving national authorities, national/international agencies, donors/other partners in the country.
- Support the NS in establishing an effective information management system for the response, including statistics.
- Work with PMER leads in IFRC and the NS to ensure that planning & reporting requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Advise on the need of additional human resources and support deployments in coordination with the Country/Regional IFRC offices, HR departments and/or surge desk.
- Ensure sound financial management is applied to all Federation-assisted programmes within the NS, that budgets are monitored and any problems identified and solutions are implemented in a timely/effective manner.
- Ensure coherence between narrative/financial reports.
- Ensure the accurate, regular/timely production of narrative and financial reports to the Federation and donors are properly and timely communicated.
- Manage senior delegates and technical team leaders and coordinate with senior management in the country, the CCD and Geneva.
- Manage operational budgets to ensure that expenditure relating to IFRC-supported operations is within income and approved ceilings, in compliance with IFRC finance procedures and in line with donor earmarking requirements.
- Supported by the finance team, ensure appropriate control on income and expenditures versus plans and ensure agile action is taken in accordance with IFRC policy, standards and practices.
- Provide direct management, technical direction/oversight to the Operational (Health, Security, Shelter, CVA, etc).
- Motivate staff, manage performance and develop team members in order to support a continuous improvement culture.
- Promote a culture of strong performance, continuous learning to improve the accountability and impact for vulnerable people.
- Represent the IFRC in relevant national and international engagements and meetings as required.
- Ensure the application of all established HR policies/procedures, and that staff hired in country are employed in accordance with local laws/practices.
Cooperation and Coordination
- Lead the Operational relationship with various strategic partners and humanitarian actors & ensure the smooth coordination and cooperation.
- Monitor and analyse political, economic, social trends in the country for planning purposes and for keeping the Federation Secretariat and partners informed and using the information for the revision of annual plans together with the NS.
- Manage the operational coordination with donors to ensure that IFRC is positively reflected in relevant coordination structures.
- Advise the URC in designing and developing effective mechanisms for coordinating the Movement partners for technical sharing and sectoral leadership
- Facilitate and encourage innovative approaches towards needs assessment, programme implementation and learning.
- Maintain an active overview of strategic issues and trends in the external environment.
- Represent IFRC at national events taking place in the country – also at meetings which are of global relevance.
- Manage effective working relationships with Russian and Belarus country offices, NS counterparts and leadership.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent knowledge
- Certificate in advanced disaster management or equivalent knowledge
- Project Management Certification
- Demonstrated experience of successfully leading and coordinating medium / large-scale humanitarian emergency response operations in a variety of contexts, preferably with the RC/RC Movement
- At least 8 years of disaster management experience, including managing staff
- Field experience in coordinating and managing disaster and crisis management projects and activities especially population movements
- Knowledge and experience of RC/RC National Societies and ICRC
- Experience in project cycle management including proposal development, budgeting and reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Good knowledge and relevant work experience in the regional context
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to think strategically and under pressure, without access to complete information.
- Effective team and project management skills
- Good analytical skills and solution-oriented
- Good mentoring and capacity development skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural team
- Excellent stress management skills
- Demonstrated accountability
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of Russian (spoken & written)
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
- Other languages
Competencies, Values and Comments
Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
Managerial competencies: Managing staff performance; Managing staff development
Functional competencies: Strategic orientation; Building alliances; Leadership; Empowering others