Sr. Administrative Assistant
Vacancy no.: DC/KUALA LUMPUR/GS/2022/04
Publication date: 18 November 2022
Application deadline (midnight Bangkok time): 1 December 2022
Job ID: 10224
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year (with possibility on renewal)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Services positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given.Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is Ringgit 67,719.- yearly.
This position is located in the ILO Project Office in Kuala Lumpur, work unit in the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP).
As a team member, the incumbent provides senior level support with responsibility for performing, completing and overseeing a range of operational and administrative support services in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner. These relate to the delivery of administrative and office support, HR, finance and travel and logistics, and require the use of the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. The incumbent plays a key role, demonstrating considerable judgment, in ensuring transparency in the correct application, interpretation and adaptation of established rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines. The incumbent evaluates and proposes solutions to difficult situations and provides inputs into the design and development of improved operational support services and delivery processes.
The position works under the supervision of the ILO Representative in Kuala Lumpur and the Senior Programme and Partnership Officer in ROAP. Supervision received is focused on facilitating service delivery, ensuring that agreed results are achieved and that work is coordinated and integrated with related services. Work assignments are generally carried out under minimum supervision with the incumbent operating with a high degree of independence, particularly on operational delivery matters. Work is reviewed for feasibility of recommendations and correctness of end results, and on the handling of complex and intricate operational matters involving the new application or interpretation of policy or affecting other related activities of the work unit.
Internal contacts are with staff and managers in ILO Project Office in Kuala Lumpur, project locations and ROAP to provide operational and administrative support and guidance for the delivery of services and the resolution of complex issues in compliance with applicable standards. The incumbent liaises with diverse organizational units to coordinate, prioritize and follow up on activities.
External contacts are primarily with counterparts in tripartite organizations i.e. Ministry of Human Resources (MoHR) and other Ministries, Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC), Malaysian Employers’ Federation (MEF), UN agencies and other international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), embassies, permanent missions and concerned authorities to coordinate and follow up on pending issues or to obtain clarification, provide guidance on Office practices and procedures and solve administrative-related matters. The incumbent also liaises with service providers for the completion of pending issues.
Description of Duties
1. Undertake and complete a range of administrative and operational support services encompassing general administration and office support, HR, finance, travel, logistics and IT. Initiate, process, review and follow up on administrative actions, including verifying that information and documentation is in compliance with applicable standards.
2. Play a proactive role in the integration and coordination of support services. Oversee and guide the work of Finance and Administrative Assistants as required and ensure a smooth flow of office work and information within the work unit and with other units.
3. Prepare, draft and finalize correspondence including of a non-routine nature requiring research and understanding of administrative, operational and programme matters and knowledge of programme areas. Undertake quality control of outgoing documents for accuracy of information, grammar and style and compliance with applicable standards. Provide informal translations.
4. Provide briefing for all new Finance and Administrative Assistants.
5. Initiate, process and follow up on HR administrative actions, verifying that information is in compliance with applicable standards. Input complete data in the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Respond to inquiries and provide general HR-related information to staff. Provide a broad range of HR-related services as required.
6. Participate in the preparation and control of the work unit’s accounts regarding allocations and expenditures. Perform operations for authorizing and effectuating expenditures and make adjustments to optimize utilization of funds. Maintain monitoring and reporting systems and prepare budget-related reports and statistics to support the preparation of programme and budget and workplan documentation and financial and technical progress reports for donors.
optional section (if needed)
7. Maintain the official travel plan of the work unit. Make travel and accommodation arrangements, coordinate visa and security requirements and ensure the timely processing of administrative transactions. Provide guidance and assistance to staff relating to arrival, departure and official travel formalities. Develop and maintain contacts with counterparts in government departments and external service providers to facilitate travel, visa, shipping and/or other related issues.
8. Organize and coordinate meetings, workshops and other events. Lead secretariat support services and oversee administrative and financial arrangements. Prepare and oversee preparation of documents, presentations, briefing files and related materials. Take minutes and follow up on implementation of decisions. Attend and participate in internal and external meetings and workshops in assigned areas of work.
9. Ensure the work unit’s filing systems are maintained, accessible and efficient. Ensure the update of websites and databases. Design and generate a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables and other background materials.
10. Keep abreast of changes to administrative rules, regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines and other developments and provide guidance and deliver training to staff with the view to building knowledge.
11. Evaluate and propose improvements to work methods and processes. Assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions. Liaise closely with other administrative areas to ensure effective and smooth service design and delivery, recommending improvements on interrelated processes.
12. Perform and/or coordinate other general administrative duties such as those related to attendance and leave recording, office space, registry, inventory and procurement matters.
13. Maintain contact lists of tripartite constituents, UN agencies, and other international organizations and members of the diplomatic corps.
14. Participate in the UN Operations Management Team and Security Management Team meetings and activities.
15. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Completion of secondary school education. Training in an area related to general administration and office support.
Minimum of six years of general administration and office support work experience, including providing various senior level support services. Experience of working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia.
Good knowledge of a range of operational areas.
Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office.
Knowledge of methods and techniques for assessing quality and efficiency of process execution.
Knowledge of the substantive nature of ILO programmes and activities.
Excellent coordination and organizing skills.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems.
Ability to coordinate and oversee a broad range of operational activities.
Ability to search, retrieve and compile information from a variety of sources.
Good drafting skills.
Ability to coordinate the work of support staff.
Analytical skills and attention to detail.
A high degree of discretion with sense of responsibility in dealing with confidential matters.
Interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website (https://jobs.ilo.org). The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.