Programme Analysts - Gender Responsive Budgeting (2 Positions) (Open to Indian Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women, men and diverse genders as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
All human development and human rights issues involve gender dimensions. UN Women globally focuses on key priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality, and that can unlock progress across the board. UN Women’s priority areas include increasing women’s leadership and participation in political spaces, ending violence against women, enhancing women’s economic empowerment, engaging in all aspects of women peace and security processes, making gender equality central to national planning and budgeting through Gender Responsive Budgeting and advancing gender in intergovernmental processes.
UN Women’s work on Gender Responsive Budgeting (GRB) or Gender Budgeting (GB) involves ensuring that national planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation processes incorporate a gender perspective. UN Women’s GRB programmes at the regional and country level have made significant contribution towards this by building political support, developing technical resources and capacities, generating good practices for improving women's access to services and increasing accountability for Gender Equality and Women’s empowerment (GEWE). At the forefront of global, regional and local advocacy for application of GRB, UN Women has built partnerships with diverse government, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners to further efforts and demonstrate GRB’s relevance to sustainable development, aid effectiveness, public sector reform and financing for development.
UN Women’s India Country Office, based in New Delhi is implementing a project with the objective of strengthening institutional mechanisms for GRB resulting in an increase of gender perspective in budgets, improved availability of data, and tracking of progress on gender equality initiatives across ministries and select states/UTs. It will aim to create a conducive policy environment and enhance institutional capacities on gender budgeting at the national and State/UT level. It will identify strategies and operational approaches to strengthen on-going efforts in the area of GRB. Insights generated from this project will enable key stakeholders at the national and state level to accelerate their efforts to ensure that women’s priorities are adequately reflected in national and state budgeting processes, and to make concrete changes for adequate resource allocation towards women’s priorities.
UN Women through this programme will work with national ministries including Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Ministry of Finance and line ministries to deepen anchoring of GRB across union ministries and sectors. It will create and strengthen institutional mechanisms for GRB and institute methodological changes in Planning-Budgeting and Auditing (PBA) systems for enabling gender responsive actions in select States. The project will aim to enhance capacities of government officials and other stakeholders to implement the gender responsive PBA measures, and leverage technology to advance gender budgeting
Within this context, UN Women seeks the services of 2 Program Analysts – Gender Responsive Budgeting to be based at UN Women, New Delhi. Reporting to the Team Lead & Gender Budget Expert, UN Women India, the 2 Program Analysts - GRB will be responsible for coordinating select components of the programme in specified geographies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Lead and Gender Budget Expert, the 2 Program Analyst-GRB will be responsible for the technical deliverables of the project and ensuring quality control, along with finalising methodology for desk review, guidance and support for MWCD/state technical coordinators, consolidation of knowledge products, lead support in meetings with government and other stakeholders and content support for GRB trainings.
The 2 Program Analysts -GRB will have the following tasks:
Contribute technically to the development of programme implementation strategies for the Gender Budgeting Project:
- Provide substantive inputs to the implementation plan, annual workplan and budget of GRB project;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the project;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of implementing partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Coordination with government partners and stakeholders:
- Maintain relations with national partners, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Finance, NITI Aayog and specific; line ministries (as allocated) for delivering project outputs;
- Oversee relationship with nodal state GRB departments in select geographies;
- Support Team Lead and GRB Expert in building partnerships and resource mobilization, and advocacy with government partners.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to project team:
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
- Support national consultants/ state coordinators in providing technical assistance to select ministries/ states on gender budgeting, and undertake capacity building trainings;
- Develop training material for conducting trainings, and analysis of pre and post assessment to measures levels of learning;
- Conduct technical trainings of internal team for knowledge building and learning-sharing;
- Support IT specialist in strengthening design and content of the e governance tool.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/project:
- Document progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results , outputs and outcomes;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Consolidate donor and UN Women reports.
- Support Team Lead and GRB Expert to monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Supervise and guide technical consultants to deliver project results.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to Gender Budgeting;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Develop/ consolidate technical knowledge products based on programme implementation, research;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality programme design and inputs to Strategic Note.
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security.
- Timely and quality monitoring and evaluation of programmes.
- Relations with partners and stakeholders.
- Quality reports and timely submission.
- Regular communication with other agencies and partners.
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focusing on impact and result for the client and responding positively to feedback;
- Model and promote transparency, honesty and openness;
- Lead teams effectively, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment. Good mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate understanding of client’s perspective;
- Demonstrate a respect for confidentiality when dealing with individual staff members issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences/Economics/Social Work /Gender Studies/Public Administration/Policy or related fields.
- At least 7 years of experience in programme management and implementation, research and trainings related to gender issues and women empowerment is required.
- At least 2 years of experience of working on GRB directly with national/ state governments is preferable.
- Wider sectoral expertise for dealing with gender issues as well as experience of training content and government capacity building is desirable.
- Proficiency in English; good command over Hindi in reading and writing.
Application Information: Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.