Operations Officer (Finance)
Johannesburg | Uganda | Nairobi | San Jose | Madrid | Rome | Lisbon | Bulgaria | Budapest | Chicago | Vancouver | Santiago | Barcelona | Bogotá | Mexico | Buenos Aires
Operations Officer (Finance) Position Overview
Avaaz is searching for an experienced and mission-driven Operations Officer (Finance) to join its multicultural, international team. This is an exciting position at the operational heart of one of the most innovative and promising public organizations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change efforts from a mission-driven finance perspective. The Avaaz finance team is integral to the organization, and finance staff members contribute to the overall success of our work on a daily basis.
The Operations Officer (Finance) will focus on day-to-day payment processing across several platforms. This role includes all aspects of accounts payable, as well as other responsibilities within the finance team. This position calls for a professional with amazing attention to detail and enthusiasm for maintaining accurate and healthy financial systems.
The Operations Officer (Finance) will report to a member of the Operations team.
- Managing the overall payments process, keeping to deadlines, and optimizing the process for maximum efficiency and accuracy
- Performing all activities related to accounts payable, including reviewing, coding, and processing payments
- Reviewing and approving credit card reports and expense reports
- Liaising with vendors and staff members to ensure timely payments and accurate invoices
- Ensuring proper approval and documentation for payments is complete
- Keeping records of financial activities organized and accessible
- Preparing for monthly close, annual audit, and other financial reporting
- Supporting data entry and recording of financial transactions to maintain an accurate ledger
- Collaborating with the rest of the Operations team on financial aspects of Avaaz operations
- Apply and communicate finance policies to ensure compliance
- Other projects and responsibilities within the finance team as applicable
You should apply for this role if you have most of the following:
- Finance, accounts payable and/or accounting experience
- Exceptional attention to detail, organizational skills, and follow through
- Excelent computer skills in general
- Good problem-solving abilities and strategic, creative, and innovative thinking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure
- A growth mindset and a desire to challenge yourself
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment and social change
- Quickbooks or other accounting package experience preferred but not required
- High level of proficiency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset
This position is remote and ideally based in Americas or EMEA time zones. Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, telephone, video, and IM. Our staff members are based all over the world and ordinarily meet at team retreats twice per year (with the next in-person retreat dates to be determined based on COVID-19 and the ability to travel safely).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary varies with location and experience, and is highly competitive with leading international nongovernmental organisations.The full-package salary for this position ranges from 39,800 - 72,926 EURO equivalent. An accurate range in local currency will be provided to candidates.
The development of our employees is paramount. To support this, we include these benefits:
- 5 weeks paid vacation per year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- $3,000 USD for training and development per year
- $1,500 USD for language development per year
- Out-of-Home Workspace Rental
Avaaz’s commitment to equity and inclusion
As a global organization with millions of members around the world, it’s important to us that our team reflects the diversity needed to lead a movement of people from across the planet, rising to meet some of the most complex challenges humanity has ever faced. We believe we can only succeed by building a diverse team full of fresh perspectives and original ideas, and we are committed to creating a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Our team includes native and non-native English speakers, the self-taught and university educated, people with all sorts of professional backgrounds. If doing the job you just read about would make you excited to come to work every day, if you’re talented, hard-working and committed to making a difference - we want you to apply.
Avaaz does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have suggestions for us on how to put these values into practice in our hiring process, we’d value your input. Please write to us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.
We’ll provide reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities or special needs to participate in the application process, so please let us know if you have such a request when you apply.