37-002 I Senior Program Officer, Africa Regional Office
PROGRAM: Locally Led Adaptation
LOCATION: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire or Rotterdam, The Netherlands
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Full time
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 December 2022
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The GCA is strongly committed to addressing barriers to accelerate and scale up Locally Led Adaptation (LLA), in ways that prioritize the needs of the most climate vulnerable. LLA involves shifting power, agency, and resources to local stakeholders to lead or meaningfully participate in adaptation and resilience-building efforts.
The GCA has established a Global Hub on LLA in Dhaka, Bangladesh to achieve this goal. The Global Hub aims to scale up LLA globally through knowledge acceleration, capacity building, and agenda setting activities; and by linking LLA best practices to investments and enhancing access to finance for LLA.
In Africa, the GCA’s goals on LLA will be delivered through the Africa-owned and Africa-led Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program (AAAP), co-created with the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) to implement the vision of the Africa Adaptation Initiative to support African countries on key adaptation initiatives. The AAAP has the following four pillars, with LLA integrated into each pillar:
Climate Smart Digital Technologies for Agriculture and Food Security
Africa Infrastructure Resilience Accelerator
Empowering Youth through Jobs and Entrepreneurship
Innovative Financial Initiatives for Africa
ABOUT THE ROLE
GCA seeks a Senior Program Officer for the GCA Africa Regional Office, to provide program management support to GCA’s Global Hub on LLA.
Reporting to the Global Lead on LLA, the areas of responsibility of the Africa LLA Senior Program Officer will include the following:
- Contribute to position GCA as a key solutions broker on Locally Led Adaptation in Africa.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the activities of the Global Hub on LLA in Africa and globally, including through the identification of opportunities to embed LLA approaches into the four pillars of the AAAP, and by developing detailed work plans and budgets.
- Identify strategic opportunities for scaling up LLA, including through investments by international financial institutions and national governments in the Africa region.
- Participate in the evaluation of project proposals to assess feasibility for financial support and/or technical assistance by GCA, including through initial screening of projects, desk reviews, and preliminary evaluation notes.
- Assess, monitor, evaluate, and report on projects and activities of the Global Hub on LLA, and steer implementing partners.
- Identify opportunities to overcome barriers to scale up LLA in Africa and globally, including through gender and youth-based interventions.
- Deliver high-quality research and support peer-learning on LLA in the region, including through the further development of the online knowledge platform of the Global Hub on LLA; and by working proactively with multiple stakeholders, partners, and GCA Programs and Research teams.
- Expand a regional network of LLA practitioners, experts and policymakers to identify and scale up LLA best practice; and support the delivery of the long-term plans of the Global Hub on LLA.
- Ensure strong links with the other teams within the GCA, helping to foster a collaborative working environment in which knowledge, information and best practices are shared and used for continuous improvement.
- Contribute to reporting on the activities of the Global Hub on LLA, including through tracking key objectives and indicators.
- Ensure the successful development and delivery of activities of the Global Hub on LLA in time, while ensuring value for money.
- Advise on key developments that could support the overall goals of the Global Hub on LLA, and identify and develop strategies for implementation.
Events and Outreach
- Support global, regional, and national outreach activities of the Global Hub on LLA, including through the conceptualization and organization of events (such as workshops and training sessions); production of material for the online knowledge platform on LLA; and participation in events and discussions on LLA.
- Perform any additional tasks requested as assigned.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: