Result of Service
The overall objective of the contract is to contribute to UNEP´s Latin America and the Caribbean´s plan of work in digital communications and public information. Through this work plan the Communication Unit contributes to position the organization as the leading environmental authority in the region, which sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimensions of sustainable development within the United Nations system.
Responsibilities of the Consultant includes, but are not limited to:
1. Under the supervision of the Head of Communications in the region, contribute to the design of communications strategies to disseminate the activities and milestones of UNEP LACO, which may include the creation of original content such as press releases, web stories, social media content and updates in the regional website or the supervision of graphic content such as infographics or factsheets.
2. Updating content for the UNEP LAC regional website in English and Spanish, in line with the needs of regional subprogrammes.
3. Creating event web pages to foster the dissemination of UNEP activities in the region.
4. Liaising with substantive units, research on, and drafting of high-quality content about the milestones of UNEP activities in the region that can be packaged in different formats and channels.
5. Support the implementation of the communication plan for diverse multilateral meetings such as the Forum of Ministers of Environment of Latin America and the Caribbean, CITES and Climate Change COPs, and others as needed.
6. Support the implementation and adaptation to the regional context of the UNEP global communication strategy and priorities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
7. In coordination with Headquarters, support the implementation of the UNEP global communication strategy and priorities in Spanish-language digital platforms.
8. Support the rollout and management of LACO’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn.
9. Support substantive units in LACO office with the publication process of their documents, from training, to concept submission, and up to the uploading to UNEP Knowledge Repository and public dissemination.
10. Update journalist database and create metrics reports on events/publications/websites.
11. Support in coordinating media coverage of UNEP´s events and activities in the region, in English and Spanish, including by liaising with news and publications agencies, public relations firms, photographers, etc. to provide advance notice of, and information on, upcoming meetings, briefings and special events.
12. Contribute to coordinating with national and subregional communications focal points the implementation of global campaigns and the regional work plan. This includes assisting in improving the quality of communications activities organized by UNEP’s offices across the region.
13. Adapt UNEP’s key messages to several communications materials, including factsheets, infographics, videos and social media cards.
14. Monitor the publication of content about UNEP in mass media.
6 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP, is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for global environment.
The UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office (LACO), located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region and its activities are integrated into the Medium-Term Strategy and the Programme of Work approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
UNEP LACO is looking for a consultant that can produce, adapt or edit relevant original content for UNEP regional sites in Spanish and English language (https://www.unenvironment.org/es/regions/america-latina-y-el-caribe) in multiple formats, including written and multimedia content.
The consultant will contribute to migrate and update content in those sites and other UNEP thematic websites, including the main web sections relative to specific areas of the subprogramme´s work, events and publications.
The consultant will research, compile and present basic information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services. The consultant will also update the journalist´s databases for the region, assist in the media coverage of important events, review communications materials of specific UNEP projects, and draft reports on metrics related to websites/publications/events.
The consultant will be supervised by the Head of the Regional Communication Unit The consultant will be home-based and will have an estimated regular dedication of 40 hours per week.
ACADEMIC: Master´s Degree in social sciences, communications or related field is required. First-level university degree with two years of additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
PROFESSIONAL: A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in journalism, public information or related field.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Excellent writing and editing skills are required. Computer skills (MS Office, e-mail, internet, dropbox, web editing) are required. Experience in photo and video tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe package among other programs) are desirable.
LANGUAGE: Fluency in Spanish and English is required for this position.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: